Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya crashes every time on a Macbook Pro while trying to quit the app...

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
2566 Views, 13 Replies

Maya crashes every time on a Macbook Pro while trying to quit the app...

As the subject is saying...

I am on a macbook pro...Maya 2015 crashes a lot when I try to quit the app. In fact, it freezes and I need to force quit Maya. 

Any ideas? 

Regards Tom

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Karen.Snow
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello Tom,

Have you tried updating to the latest version of Maya 2015? (Service Pack 3)

If not, could you please do so and see if the behavior changes.

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-maya-2015-servi...

If that does not work, can you try flushing your Maya preferences?

Close Maya

/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/2015/

(Library may be hidden so just click on 'Go' and hold down the option key to bring it up)

Rename the 'prefs' folder to 'prefsOld'

Launch Maya and run some tests to see if problem persists.

If neither of those help could you let us know how are you quitting the application? Are you using the X or using the File Menu?

Thank-you,

Karen

Karen Snow
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Karen.Snow

Hi Karen!

I have SP 3 and I am quiting Maya both ways. Using X and through filemenu. It doesn't make a difference. Flushing prefs didn't help either. 

A little bit more on the symptoms. Just a second after quiting Maya, the application freezes and the viewport shows some random interface elements. It remains in that state until I force quit. Personally, I think it is related to this: 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/maya-general/maya-messed-up-videocard-interface-on-macbook-pro/m-p/520...

So, the problem is stil there. 

Regards! Tom

Message 4 of 14
warnold1

I would not expect the VSYNC setting to cause the hang on exit

To get more info before force quit maya, please obtain an Sample of the Maya process with the Apple Activity Monitor.
The Activity Monitor is found in the /Applications/Utilities

Select the Maya process then click on the "Sample" button/icon. The UI is a bit different depending on your OS version, but should be in the upper left area, either directly or in a drop down menu

From the stack trace one can then see what Maya is attempting to do

Wayne Arnold

Developer

Message 5 of 14
rjino4732
in reply to: warnold1

This behaviour has been persistent for me also. I've tried creating a new user, which helped for a short time but the behaviour returned.

My suspicion is the license server. I've sent several crash reports to ADSK including several phone call to tech support. I believe the ticket is still open but I have no resolution to the issue at this moment. I have similar issues with Autodesk Smoke 2015. Maya 2013 was problematic but not as bad but Maya 2015 will crash on each and every attempt to quit.

Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013

Memory  16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics  NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Software  OS X 10.9.4 

Message 6 of 14
warnold1
in reply to: rjino4732

thank you for the trace.  from the trace, would appear to be in one of the CIP modules

what type of license are you using,   floating, standalone, rental, other ?

is there any specific workflow that induces the problem.  

if you start then close Maya does it crash ?    any pugins being loaded

Wayne Arnold

Developer

Message 7 of 14
rjino4732

Hi thanks for your help with this.

Firstly, what does "CIP" stand for?

I am using a rental license.

There is no particular workflow that causes this. It's pretty much a constant pattern of behavior. This install was done in May 2014 on a brand new laptop.

If I start Maya and then quit immediately the likely-hood of a crash is reduced slightly. If any work at all is done in the viewport then a crash on exit is pretty much guaranteed.

The symptoms upon attempting to exit are exactly as described by the original post.

No unusual plugins are being used other than what is shipped with Maya 2015. 

Thanks for taking an interset in this.
Message 8 of 14
warnold1

CIP is the Customer Involvement Program.   http://www.autodesk.com/company/customer-involvement-program

why Maya is crashing I'm not sure.  entering a bug would be the first step to getting this resolved

I don't use rental license, if that is the reason for the issue

CIP can be disabled,  or opted out of

setting Environment variable:  MAYA_DISABLE_CIP=1  before starting Maya should disable CIP.  if you try that to see if that helps

Wayne Arnold

Developer

Message 9 of 14
rjino4732

Excuse my ignorance but could you explain in a little more detail where and how to disable this CIP module (other than the Help menu which does not seem to make a difference).

Many thanks.

Message 10 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Karen.Snow

Hello,

so what is the solution to this problem? It is quit annoying..

regards! Tom

Message 11 of 14
rjino4732

Going to the help menu>customer involvement program....disabling this activity helps but is not a complete solution.
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

Hm, that is already disabled, the whole time. Any other ideas? 🙂

RT

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

Hello, 

just want to say that this issue has NOT been resolved. I also installed Service pack 4, but that did not solve the problem. Sorry, this is unacceptable and very frustrating. 

RT

Message 14 of 14
dbraun

Maya 2015 SP5, Mac OSX 10.10.1 - same issue, crashes every time on exit.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report