Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2015 Student Version crashes upon file load

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Shrooblord
1441 Views, 4 Replies

Maya 2015 Student Version crashes upon file load

Dear forum,

I'm experiencing an annoying bug where a file I was working on will consistently crash directly after it's loaded. The file itself is a .mb file, but after it's been loaded a 100%, the student version save dialog comes up and tells me it wants to save. I read in the command bar down at the bottom it's trying to save a .ma file with the same name as the opened file. If I press continue, the program crashes. If I don't allow it to save, it tells me it failed saving the file located at /var/folders/jv/<long complicated code>/T/Shrooblord.20140625.1701.ma , where the date stamp is whatever the current time and date are. Then Maya crashes, sometimes yielding the Autodesk Crash reporter dialog, sometimes forcing me to force quit. This folder, by the way, is not the same folder that the original project scene is stored in.

I'm using a Mac, if that makes any difference.

Furthermore, I already tried deleting the prefs folder to reset Maya, but it didn't work. I also tried setting the Preferences > Files/Projects > File Dialog > Dialog Style to OS Native, but it didn't resolve the problem either.

I read around on the internet that .ma files are generally better for problems like this, since you could manually recover data and edit the file with a text editor as opposed to being completely lost if the file should corrupt. Seeing as Maya is trying to save the file as a .ma anyway (why is it doing that?), I'd like to give it a hand and do that for it. But I can't open the .mb file, or Maya crashes.

My autosave back-ups of the file yield the same crash.

Also, I had this problem yesterday, but it mysteriously resolved itself earlier today, enabling me to edit the file again. But then, it reappeared, and now I am unable to access my file once more.

I'd like to resolve the issue and I hope you can help me do that. Thank you.

Shrooblord

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Shrooblord
in reply to: Shrooblord

If I uploaded the file, would someone be able to take a look at it?

I'd like to remove the skeleton that's in the scene completely, because I need to redo it and I think it may be the cause of the corruption. I'd also like to save it as a .ma as well as a .mb to see if that fixes my issues.
Thanks,
Shrooblord
Message 3 of 5
Wazyjr

If you find a solution please let me know, I'm haveing the same issue, except im using a .ma file format instead. It was working fine and now it just started crashing after i open my file.

Cal.

Message 4 of 5
Shrooblord
in reply to: Wazyjr

Well, I never found the solution, but I ended up reverting to an older save file and now I neurotically save the files I'm working on in both .mb and .ma format, creating back-ups and resaving every so often. No crashes so far, but no clue as to what caused the issue. Best I can advise is to check your model while you're working on it regularly for issues that might screw with Maya - it gets finnicky if things are not in order, so make sure your normals are as they should be, there's no trailing verteces, remove your history ever so often, etc..

Sorry, I know that won't help you recover your file, but I'm as in the dark about that as you are...

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

This has happened to me now twice in two days and I am extremely frustrated. I am using 2015 student version and on a Mac too. Except, learning my lesson yesterday without a backed up file, I have TEN other seperate saves, and I attempted to smooth, Maya either a) asks to save/fails, cancel/crashes, but it has somehow affected all my other saves. If I open any of the previous saves, the save dialogue box comes up. I have been deleting history, keeping the file clean etc. This is a ridiculous bug and needs to be fixed ASAP, although seeing as this thread is almost a year old it obviously hasnt'...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report