Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2015 and Maya LT 2015 keeps crashing!

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
Anonymous
6582 Views, 17 Replies

Maya 2015 and Maya LT 2015 keeps crashing!

When I am in the middle of doing something Maya or Maya LT it just crashes. Windows pops up and says:

Maya has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notifiy you if a solution is a availiabe.

It is not a specific tool I am using in maya because I have tried using other tools and it pops up with the same thing with both applications. I have already uninstalled and reinstalled it.

How do I fix this?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
n8skow
in reply to: Anonymous

Not much info to go on here...

What are your hardware specs? Particularly video card...
What operating system?

Message 3 of 18
Beadsmith2
in reply to: n8skow

I have the same problem. I have a Dell Inspiron, Custom, Switchable Graphics with Intel I5 and AMD Radeon, 6GB Ram, 64 bit Windows 8.1

It just randomly crashes, for no apparent reason. If I dont save every 30 seconds, i can lose hours of work (it crashes really frequently.)

Blender did not crash like this doing the same things.

I am currently using the Maya 2015 Student

Message 4 of 18
Beadsmith2
in reply to: Beadsmith2

Just a note: I have really loved Maya so far, and am glad I made the switch from Blender. Its just really frustrating that it crashes so much. ie, it crashed the second I loaded my save file, and all I have is a slightly altered and rigged cube I am using for an experiment.
Message 5 of 18
n8skow

Do you get an error message during crash or does computer just freeze/reboot?
Need more info to work with...

Message 6 of 18
Beadsmith2

Sent from Windows Mail

It gave me an error report and asked if I wanted to send it to Microsoft. I tried clicking send, but it never came up with any solutions. It does not reboot my computer, it just closes out of Maya, and any unsaved progress is lost.

A possible solution would be to have an autosave function in Maya, but I am not aware of one?

Thank you!
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous

im having the same problem, maya just chrashes at random moments. but with my latest project I noticed it chrashed when i tried to smooth an duplicated cilinder which was already altered. my pc did not freeze it was just maya that chrashed. I restarted maya several times but everytime i tried to smooth it out it gave the error and chrashed. im currently using maya 2015 and my pc should be able to run it without problems. hope this helps solving the problem.

if it helps im using a AMD Radeon HD 6650M 2GB VRAM

with a Intel core I5 2430M

and im currently using a laptop

anyways happy holidays, hope it can be fixed soon 

Message 8 of 18
solomontyc

I have similar problems with Maya freezing and then shut down. I isolated a small part of my model and the picture in wireframe mode. I changed to vertex because i want to do some minor adjustments, but when I click on any one of the vertex and use the move tool, it started to freeze and then reboot.. 

I am using a macbook pro

2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

Please advise.. I just made the switch from Blender and I am loving Maya.. Hopefully this wont turn me away from such a great software..

Thank you.. 

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous

Same problem. I have till Monday to finish this very simple animated sequence for my class. Used Ccleaner, freed up space on my harddrive, have about 35 gigs of free space now. Specs: Windows 8.1, 8 gigs of RAM, 64 bit, AMD A8-4500M APU with Radeon, HD Graphics 1.90 GHz - using Autodesk Maya 2015. Never had this issue before. I believe I recently had some updates, not sure if that's a factor.

Should I uninstall and reinstall? 

Message 10 of 18
kelly_hynes

Hi Erik,

Do you have a workflow/file that is causing this crash, or is it random?  On our side, we can do some specific testing on Win 8.1 with AMD cards, but if there is a specific file or workflow, this would help narrow down the problem quite a bit.

Please let me know.

Kelly

Maya QA

Kelly Hynes
Manager, Software QA Engineering
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 11 of 18
solomontyc
in reply to: kelly_hynes

Hi,

I do experienced some crashes. Especially when I do isolation and then I start manipulating some vertex and it will shut off Maya.

Thanks,
Message 12 of 18
kelly_hynes

Hi Everyone,

I've reproduced the crash.  It appears to be related to duplicating, manipulating and selecting components, and using the Isolate Select < View Selected option in the Show menu. 

When I trace the crash report, the issue affects our 2015 releases, and has been fixed in Maya 2016.

Thank you for reporting this problem.

Best regards,

Kelly

Kelly Hynes
Manager, Software QA Engineering
Installation & Licensing forums | Contact product support | Autodesk AREA

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous

same problem for  me but i have maya 2016

it crashes when i use an area light and i am on windows 8.1.

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous

why dont you just use blender then
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous

ok so i have a question,how do i stop maya from crashing when i select the camera? its like every single time i select the camera maya stops working

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous

I have this same issue.  Would love a fix for it so I can put in some Over Time on my studies when at home...

Message 17 of 18
WilliamKidwell4336

I have what I believe is a fix. The problem seem to stem from bad shape node names and invisible junk in the file.

This was happening to me, maya was crashing about every 3mins.

Here's what I did to fix this issue:

-export out all geometry from you scene as an .obj (this will strip anything bad from the data)

-reimport all .obj meshes into a fresh maya scene (run optimize scene on a new blank scene or just restart maya)

-as a bonus you can rename all of your geometry with a renaming script to strip off the :mesh suffix, but this isn't necessary.

-enjoy what remaining hair you have.

Message 18 of 18
wobbiso

I had the exact same problem, but I can confirm that in my particular case, Maya was having troubles smoothing a complex piece of geometry. Whenever the smoothed mesh was selected, Maya automatically crashed; in other scenarios, manipulating the smooth mesh would sometimes also result in a crash. For anyone else with the same problem, deleting the smooth mesh entirely can be done by "delete all by type > history" (since you cannot actually select the smooth mesh or Maya will crash) and then simplifying the original rough mesh should solve your problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report