Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2014 running incredibly slow.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
648 Views, 4 Replies

Maya 2014 running incredibly slow.

Hey all..

I am not sure what is going on....but wheni start to get into lessons with a lot of plygon counts or animationgs Maya slows WAY down...likae upto 10 seconds between commands...

Any thoughts on how to correct this?

Here is my hardware specs:

Intel® Core™ i5-4200M Processor
(3M Cache, up to 3.10 GHz)

Processor Number i5-4200M
# of Cores 2
# of Threads 4
Clock Speed 2.5 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency 3.1 GHz
Intel® Smart Cache 3 MB

HD Graphics 4600 (1.35 GHz)

Thanks for the Help!!

Ldavis

Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
n8skow
in reply to: Anonymous

Unfortunately those Intel graphics chips are no good for Maya.

You will need a dedicated 3d accelerator to get better performance.

Message 3 of 5
vincef18
in reply to: n8skow

Can you be specific when you mention 3d accelerator?

Is there a particular 3d accelerator that you would recommend???

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

To add to what's already been said, yes, Maya can be a bit twitchy about graphics cards.  Here's a link with a bit more info on which cards have been certified (you'll have to plug in a bit of info)...

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?siteID=123112&id=18844534

To that end of the equation, I would simply add that I've had the best luck with ATI (AMD) graphics cards...and not just with Maya.  While Nvidia makes some great motherboard chips sets, their "GeForce" vid cards particularly tend to have compatability issues with a fair degree of software...personally I tend to avoid Nvidia graphics cards like the plague (whether they're certified or not).

Also regarding hardware, make sure you system has at least 8 to 16 gigs of ram...Maya can be a real pig when it comes to memory usage.

Now with that I would also ask, when you say "lessons with a lot of plygon counts or animationgs"..ermm...how much is "a lot"?  A simple fact of life when it comes to 3D modeling (and especially rendering) is that higher poly counts mean lower system performance. The project I'm currently working on for example has a poly count WAY up in the millions in some scenes...yes, my system is really slow and chunky and some of the renders are taking as much as 10 minutes per frame or more.  Even the high end Macs with the Xeon processors (and 32 gigs of RAM) up at the college I attend are struggling with this project.  In my case, it's not the hardware, it's simply the project.

While a proper vid card is always a good idea with Maya, my suggestion would be that BEFORE you spend a heap of bread on system upgrades and such, perhaps try running these lessons on another system...see if there's any significant difference in system performance on another machine.  If things are still running slow on a different machine, it may be the lessons themselves. 

Just something to think about.

Good luck!

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Great to know! I'm currently in the process uf upgrading my pc (maya has also been slow for me) and I've been looking at graphics cards pretty intensely. I gues I'll go for ATI then.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report