Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2014 plugin problem (Mayatomr)

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
10223 Views, 3 Replies

Maya 2014 plugin problem (Mayatomr)

I need help. I currently have Autodesk Maya 2014 - the Student Version 3 years trial installed. 

(http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/maya)

My Maya 2014 does not have this plugin called: "Mayatomr.mll." which I need for mental ray and AO mapping.

I've checked the plugin manager and browsed through the files. The folder "MentalrayforMaya2014" is not present in the Autodesk folder.Mayaplugins2013.PNG

That is where it's normal location is at school.

I have tried to re-install the tools from the autodesk installer but to no avail.

I have also tried to move the actual mayatomr plugin and its folder contents from the school's computers, to my home laptop. This didn't work either; it only crashed the program.

Does anyone have any advice on getting this plugin installed?

Or... Will I have to do a full clean install?

If I do... will my previous work be deleted?

Thank you for the help. Smiley Happy

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I have the same issue.  It appears that the newest installer of the Creative Suite fails to put Mayatomr in with the other plugins.   Or possibly Mental Ray is not being installed completely at all

Message 3 of 4
jeremyninjarobot
in reply to: Anonymous

Hey folks,

Not sure if this will help.

mayatomr.mll is a diffrent folder. it shows up at the bottom of the list. along with the substanceDesigner plugin. I had to go back toe the education community and reinstall Maya2014 from the download manager, before install I had to go to the custom install settings and makesure Mentalray for maya2014 was checked off to be installed.

that solved the issue of missing mentalray.

but then there were 2 that is TWO versions of the mayatomr.mll on my plugin manager window in maya, one of them was in the main list where i normally see it and the other was on the bottom of the list in a rollout called "/mentalrayformaya2014/plugin" the load check box file had the same name mayatomr.mll

MR was still not working...

I was getting an error with '/mentalrayformaya2014/scripts/mentalrayUI.mel' thats when I noticed that if both plugins were loaded MR didn't work. 

I if I disabled both versions Maya gave me no errors

IF I disabled the non 2014 version and enabled the 2014 version, for some crazy reason the old version would auto launch even if the checkbox was not checked ( I assume somethign was calling for it becase they have the same name)

then I tried to unload the oldversion by clicking off the checkbox while maya was running and it gave me a warning, and said OK to the warning and disabled the oldversion, then I clicked on the 2014 version and it worked I had MentalRay back.

new issue, if I closed out and restarted I had to shut off the oldversion and then turn on the new version every time.

so I went into the folder for the mayatomr.mll in the main maya install and renamed it to OLD_mayatomr.mll

now it works fine. there is a "OLD_mayatomr.mll" in the upper part fo the plugin manager that shows up but its not conflicting with the mentalrayformaya2014 plugin on the bottom of the list.

I hope this helps someone as I was going crazy with this 

-Jeremy

www.jeremyrobertortiz.com

Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: jeremyninjarobot

Thank you! Smiley Very Happy

It turns out the problem started when I first installed Maya 2014. For some reason, it did not install correctly and was missing some features, including the mental ray plugin. I had forgotten this, as I had installed this a month before my classes had started. I didn't realize this until I did a clean reinstall of Maya 2014 a few weeks ago (as so many people were asking me to try), and made sure mental ray was included in the installation.

As you described, the plugin is under custom install settings. 🙂

So it turned out it was just a matter of reinstalling Maya. I was so happy and relieved when it finally worked.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report