Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6
TorunBr
243 Views, 5 Replies

License type question

I have a student license and have used 3ds max 2014. Suddenly I could not start the program, it froze at "starting 3ds max". 

I uninstalled everything and downloaded another version via the Virtual agent. I did this a few weeks ago without problem.

This time I could also download and install, but when finished I realised that I by mistake had installed the 2015 version. Maybe this is ok for student licenses, but when starting the program it says that I have purchased it! And that I have 30 days left to activate it. 

How do I change license type back to student? And why did it become a purchased version instead of a student version?

Torun

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jessica.t
in reply to: TorunBr

Hi there!

Not to worry, you haven't made a purchase Smiley Happy You just downloaded a trial, you can activate this trial by using your license information from your Education Community account to convert the trial into a student license.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions or concerns please let us know. Thanks!

Jessica Thrasher
Message 3 of 6
TorunBr
in reply to: jessica.t

Thank you Jessica, but I cant activate using the serial number I received from start. It says that this code is not valid!

Torun

Message 4 of 6
TorunBr

Hello again! I now tried to do the same thing as I tried in the 2014 version that got stuck at "starting 3ds max". I changed the driver selection to "Legacy OpenGL". And now this 2015 version stops at "Starting 3ds max". 

The reason why I do this is that I want to use "2D pan and zoom" and I have searched a lot and the only solution I found was this option. I also need "Smooth and highlights" and to use that I understood it as I have to use either Lagacy OpneGL or Legacy Direct3D. 

Message 5 of 6
Steve_Curley

The changes to the 2D Pan/Zoom were introduced in the 2014 release, you would need 2013 in order to use that feature. Consider setting up a Virtual Studio instead - it has long been the preferred option even before the pan/zoom changes.

Why do you think you "need" Smooth+Highlights? The Nitrous Shaded view is pretty much the same plus you can switch at will to Realistic view to get the added functionality in the later releases.

Make sure you disable any AV and firewall during the installation and perform the installation "As Administrator" and also run Max at least once "As Administrator" before attempting to use it with an LUA (limited user account).

Post your system specs - if changing the Viewport Renderer causes Max to fail to load then there's the possibility your system does not meet the minimum System Requirements for 2015. Make sure to follow the link for the Graphics card compatibility and make sure you have the latest drivers. You need to get Max running properly (as a trial) before dealing with any licensing issues.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 6 of 6
jessica.t

Hi @TorunBr,

If you're experiencing licensing issues, please contact our Registration and Activation department directly:

1.    Visit http://knowledge.autodesk.com/contactus
2.    Select “Activation & Registration” or “License Management”
3.    Select appropriate subtopics from the pull-down menus
4.    Select “I Still Need Help”  if you need personal assistance

If you have any other questions please let us know. Thanks!

Jessica Thrasher

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report