Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5
AlviseBaldassa
221 Views, 4 Replies

Laptop for animation

Hello everybody,
I've recently finished a 3D course and I decided to specialize in character animation.
I'm currently working on my showreel with a very old pc and, seen that I'll probably leave home very soon, I was planning to buy a laptop.
I know that a mobile workstation would be the best choice for me, but I'd also like to know if there's such a big difference with a gaming laptop, considering that I'm a beginner animator and I probably won't work with too detailed 3d models or scenes.

For example, what do you think about MSI GE72 Apache Pro-242 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152928 ? Would it be a worthy choice?
Would you suggest something different? Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: AlviseBaldassa

How much of your work will realistically require the mobility of a laptop (ie. can you actually work while mobile?  Will an employer provide a docking station or computer?  Will clients allow you to access their IP from a mobile device?)?  If the answer is "not much" then you might want to consider dropping the money on a good desktop and a cheap laptop/oversized tablet for the fiddly little stuff you do while mobile.  At the very least run the numbers.  Aside from costing more, its important to remember laptops are designed for portability first without the heat management you'll get in a standard case.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 5

I would suggest Mobile workstation Dell 4800, its bit heavy but results are very good. I am currently using it and have found better than Dell workstation T5600.

There is also my post on the same to check which laptop suite your requirement. 

www.bim-3d-4d-5d.blogspot.com
www.bim-navisworks.blogspot.com
Twitter @SureshChotrani
Give KUDOs if happy & accept solution if post provides solution
Message 4 of 5
AlviseBaldassa
in reply to: dgorsman

I know, a desktop would be better but for the moment I need something to work with wherever I want
Message 5 of 5

The problem of workstations is the price...and for the moment my budget isn't so high (around 1300-1400 euros) 😞

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report