Upgrade now and save
Discussion Groups

Installation - Hardware - OS

stuartlippincott
Accepted Solution

Keyboard stops working!

3532 Views, 11 Replies
08-08-2012 03:30 PM
I will be working in Maya and a few minutes in the keyboard shortcuts completely stop working! The scale, move and rotate commands do nothing. The spacebar does not switch between viewports. The Hotkeys settings seem to be just fine. I restore them to their default state in case something got messed up. Still no luck! Does anyone have a solution for this? I also have Maya 2013 SP 1 installed.
Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Valued Contributor
ArthurRoolfs5235

Re: Keyboard stops working!

08-08-2012 03:48 PM in reply to: stuartlippincott
That seems to be another one of the known defects in Maya 2013. I have had the same issue and was not able to track it down to a source. A complete new installation seems to have lessened the occurrence of the problem to some degree. It still is bothersome and annoying to have to restart the app every time this hits you. Worse, the save command that I occasionally use in between larger sets of manipulations will just fail silently and you're kinda screwed when Maya crashes. Anyhow, I posted a bug report and hope you will too so this can get resolved in version 2014 or 2015 maybe. It's a real pity that AutoDesk unlike Maxon, Luxology or pretty much anybody else doesn't offer basic unpaid support for their programs. Thus with their policy of no replies there is no way of knowing whether this is actually on their radar.
Please use plain text.
stuartlippincott

08-10-2012 07:06 PM in reply to: ArthurRoolfs5235
Man that's unfortunate... :\ I have reported this a couple times actually. I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this, but it sucks that we have to even have this happen! If I hear anything I'll be sure to post it on here. If you could do the same I'd greatly appreciate it!
Please use plain text.
K.Liza.A

09-27-2012 06:28 AM in reply to: stuartlippincott
I started using Maya recently and have been experiencing the same issues. After a while I lose the ability to tumble, zoom, rotate, move, or set key frames. Saving the project and restarting seems to fix the problem, however sometimes I have to restart quite frequently, and that gets disruptive. Hope there is a fix for this
Please use plain text.
ReclusiveCoder

10-01-2012 08:32 AM in reply to: stuartlippincott
Same thing here. Besides, sometimes the hotbox for changing views does not work either.
One more thing, do you guys know how to restore the smoogh focus on objects? I had to change my views via menu, and since I did this, I cant press F and see a smooth focus on objects.. =(
Please use plain text.
Jimbuscus

11-07-2012 08:24 PM in reply to: stuartlippincott
I have been getting the same thing as well. I've looked around quite a bit and I've found that people have had this problem in Maya 2010, '11, '12, and '13 so I don't think they are acknowledging this issue, nor do i think they are fixing it (unfortunately).
Please use plain text.
ISStl

03-22-2013 06:17 AM in reply to: stuartlippincott
I've noticed this issue when I wrongly switched my keyboard language other than English. In Windows 8 the shortcut key to switch languages is Alt+Space. Those are the major keys used to work in Maya. May be we wrongly press those buttons It'll happen. Just check this. The problem getting solved when I'm back to English. You may check your language input at right side of the task bar...
Please use plain text.
blinnlambert

09-12-2013 11:00 AM in reply to: stuartlippincott

just discovered the root of my issue, and I hope it's helpful to you. 

The problem: I am working in Maya. The hotbox menu and everything works fine (i.e. move, scale, rotates hotkeys), but then I go into my outliner and try to rearrange objects and clean-up, but the mouse cursor turns into a "no" icon and I can't move anything. For some reason, this disables the keyboard entirely!

The solution: Right-click in the outliner and go to SortOrder -> SceneHierarchy. This will allow you to sort objects within your outliner. You will need to move something within the outliner (or restart maya) to get back your hotkeys.

mayaOutlinerOrder.jpg

Hope this helps because the problem almost gave me an aneurysm!

Please use plain text.
Archimboldo99

12-03-2013 10:58 AM in reply to: stuartlippincott

Reading the thread, because I was having same issues with non-functioning keyboard with Maya 2013 for Mac.  I found the answer above-- thank you! 

Whenever i was going into Outliner and trying to re-parent I was getting the NO icon-- and this, apparently, was what kept messing up the keyboard functions globally.

The solution to the outliner problem ALSO FIXES THE KEYBOARD PROBLEM: Go into the outliner's display/sort order menu and change from alphabetical to scene hierarchy.  That allows you to grab items with the mm button.  It also restores the hotkey and scrolling capabilities of the mouse and keytboard everywhere.

(At least so far as I've found...)

Please use plain text.
raureru

02-13-2014 01:45 PM in reply to: stuartlippincott

The problem also exists in Max 2013.

It just started happening this week, but for some reason if you have the container explorer open and you turn on "select children" the keyboard stops working. I figured out that if you select an object in the explorer and make it a child of something else then the keyboard might start working again. However sometimes a restart is still required.

Very annoying bug.

Please use plain text.