Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyboard stops working!

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
stuartlippincott
33779 Views, 19 Replies

Keyboard stops working!

I will be working in Maya and a few minutes in the keyboard shortcuts completely stop working! The scale, move and rotate commands do nothing. The spacebar does not switch between viewports. The Hotkeys settings seem to be just fine. I restore them to their default state in case something got messed up. Still no luck! Does anyone have a solution for this? I also have Maya 2013 SP 1 installed.
Thanks!
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
caxix
in reply to: stuartlippincott

That seems to be another one of the known defects in Maya 2013. I have had the same issue and was not able to track it down to a source. A complete new installation seems to have lessened the occurrence of the problem to some degree. It still is bothersome and annoying to have to restart the app every time this hits you. Worse, the save command that I occasionally use in between larger sets of manipulations will just fail silently and you're kinda screwed when Maya crashes. Anyhow, I posted a bug report and hope you will too so this can get resolved in version 2014 or 2015 maybe. It's a real pity that AutoDesk unlike Maxon, Luxology or pretty much anybody else doesn't offer basic unpaid support for their programs. Thus with their policy of no replies there is no way of knowing whether this is actually on their radar.
Message 3 of 20
stuartlippincott
in reply to: caxix

Man that's unfortunate... 😕 I have reported this a couple times actually. I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this, but it sucks that we have to even have this happen! If I hear anything I'll be sure to post it on here. If you could do the same I'd greatly appreciate it!
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous

I started using Maya recently and have been experiencing the same issues. After a while I lose the ability to tumble, zoom, rotate, move, or set key frames. Saving the project and restarting seems to fix the problem, however sometimes I have to restart quite frequently, and that gets disruptive. Hope there is a fix for this
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous

Same thing here. Besides, sometimes the hotbox for changing views does not work either.
One more thing, do you guys know how to restore the smoogh focus on objects? I had to change my views via menu, and since I did this, I cant press F and see a smooth focus on objects.. =(
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous

I have been getting the same thing as well. I've looked around quite a bit and I've found that people have had this problem in Maya 2010, '11, '12, and '13 so I don't think they are acknowledging this issue, nor do i think they are fixing it (unfortunately).
Message 7 of 20
ISStl

I've noticed this issue when I wrongly switched my keyboard language other than English. In Windows 8 the shortcut key to switch languages is Alt+Space. Those are the major keys used to work in Maya. May be we wrongly press those buttons It'll happen. Just check this. The problem getting solved when I'm back to English. You may check your language input at right side of the task bar...
Message 8 of 20

just discovered the root of my issue, and I hope it's helpful to you. 

The problem: I am working in Maya. The hotbox menu and everything works fine (i.e. move, scale, rotates hotkeys), but then I go into my outliner and try to rearrange objects and clean-up, but the mouse cursor turns into a "no" icon and I can't move anything. For some reason, this disables the keyboard entirely!

The solution: Right-click in the outliner and go to SortOrder -> SceneHierarchy. This will allow you to sort objects within your outliner. You will need to move something within the outliner (or restart maya) to get back your hotkeys.

mayaOutlinerOrder.jpg

Hope this helps because the problem almost gave me an aneurysm!

Message 9 of 20

Reading the thread, because I was having same issues with non-functioning keyboard with Maya 2013 for Mac.  I found the answer above-- thank you! 

Whenever i was going into Outliner and trying to re-parent I was getting the NO icon-- and this, apparently, was what kept messing up the keyboard functions globally.

The solution to the outliner problem ALSO FIXES THE KEYBOARD PROBLEM: Go into the outliner's display/sort order menu and change from alphabetical to scene hierarchy.  That allows you to grab items with the mm button.  It also restores the hotkey and scrolling capabilities of the mouse and keytboard everywhere.

(At least so far as I've found...)

Message 10 of 20
raureru

The problem also exists in Max 2013.

It just started happening this week, but for some reason if you have the container explorer open and you turn on "select children" the keyboard stops working. I figured out that if you select an object in the explorer and make it a child of something else then the keyboard might start working again. However sometimes a restart is still required.

Very annoying bug.

Message 11 of 20

Hey there, Unfortunately, I got the same issue with Maya 2014. At some point, without any obvious reason,a lot of hotkeys (W, E, R F, S, A etc.) stop responding, so I have to restart the program. Some other hotkeys, like Ctrl+S, Alt+mouse buttons, 1,2,3 etc. work though. I've also installed service pack 2, but the problem persists. The Outliner solution doesn't do anything. I had Maya 13 installed before that and I don't remember having the same issue. Quite annoying!
Message 12 of 20
tasvvir

I have same issue in Maya 2014

after a wile the keyboard completly disable

Thanks to Autodesk team 💓 

Message 13 of 20

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!
Message 14 of 20
tdogbeard
in reply to: blinnlambert

There is an easier way, actually you can just right click on the timeline cursor and then click out of it and your shortcuts will work again!
Message 15 of 20
jzacman

Here is the definitive Solution go to maya Preferences > Display > Manipulators there change the default manipulator to translate or something and maby check or change some parameters then after saving the new Prefs it will let you use you hotkeys again!Manipulator Pref

www.zacmanstudio.com
Tags (1)
Message 16 of 20

Hey there, I found myself having the same kind of intermittent dysfunction with hotkeys in Maya (2018.1 in my case).

I also started to notice similar happenings in Photoshop so, I did some experimentation starting with my main input device.. my keyboard. I then quickly found a solid fix for my situation.

The solution for me was to update the keyboard's software (a Razer Lycosa) and to disable the quick customization interface hotkey, which is found in a drop-down menu in the lower left of the 'Razer Synapse' interface.

In my case, updating my keyboards software and more importantly, disabling its hotkey that brings up the customization interface has thus far been a permanent fix to all my hotkey issues in Maya and Photoshop. After a bit of research, I am finding that most high-end keyboards that make use of a customizable interface often use a special function key or alt+(number or letter) in order to bring up the quick access interface. I'm not a developer nor do I play one on TV but, I think this hotkey issue people are having in Maya might just be Maya running into conflict with 3rd party keyboard and mouse software that is either not up to date or is competing with commonly used hotkeys to launch their software.

I see many are finding that toggling the 'Sort Order' within the Outliners 'Display' properties from Alphabetical to Scene Hierarchy or vice versa does the trick for them though from what I have read in various forums I wonder if this is not just a temporary fix. I say that because I tried this trick first and it seemed to work for a while, then I started having issues again. It was not until I noticed similar problems in Photoshop that I started looking for other avenues of attack outside of Maya.

Message 17 of 20

haha it worked!!!i just moved something in the outliner.thanks

Message 18 of 20

You are lifesaver. Thank you that helped. 

Message 19 of 20

if any of you are using ghostpress utility turn it off when using maya this interferes with the keyboard. (qwerty keys )
Message 20 of 20
mrudson

MicrosoftTeams-image (8).png

 make sure you haven't locked your camera

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report