Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6
ktubbs
331 Views, 5 Replies

Invalid Serial Number

I've been using 3ds Max 2011 for 4 years.  Now, I'm moving to a spiffy new computer, and can't transfer the license.  The license transfer utility says the serial number is invalid.  I tried "chat" assistance, and was told to completely uninstall 3ds max from the old computer, and try again on the new computer.  Same error, serial number is invalid.

I did some googling, found numerous references to a subscription that upgrades you to a new version, invalidating the serial number for the old version.  But I didn't buy a subscription.  At least, I don't THINK I did.

Maybe someone here can shed some light on this.  I got nowhere with the chat help.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jessica.t
in reply to: ktubbs

Hello @ktubbs and welcome to the Autodesk Community!

Your Autodesk 3ds Max 2011 has been upgraded to an Autodesk 3ds Max 2012 which is why you are receiving the invalid serial number error. As the 2012 has already been activated and your licenses are no longer covered under Subscription, the 2011 is no longer available. If you would like access to the 2012 license please the person who manages your licenses.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. In the meantime, please feel free to download and use the Autodesk 3ds Max 2012 as a 30 day free trial until the serial number becomes available to you and you can activate. If you have any other questions please reply to this post.

Thank you!

Jessica Thrasher
Message 3 of 6
ktubbs
in reply to: jessica.t

I did not know it was under subscription.  *I* am the one who manages the licenses! 

So, assuming it was upgraded to a 2012 version, and I do NOT have the new serial number, how do I obtain it?

Message 4 of 6
ktubbs

Or, will my existing serial number now work with the new version?

Message 5 of 6
joane.bonghanoy

Hi ktubbs,

Please send me a Private Message (click on my joane.bonghanoy profile name and then “Send this user a private message”) with your Serial Number so I can check and verify on the contact person on file for the License.

Joane Bonghanoy
Message 6 of 6
dgorsman

When new products are released, the contact listed in the Subscription account is sent an email notifying them that the product is available as well as any changes such as updated serial numbers.  Either your contact information isn't up to date (hence the support request for current details) or your junk filter may have eaten it.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report