Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drag/marquee select turns screen black??

49 REPLIES 49
Message 1 of 50
pianotrumpet6288
15345 Views, 49 Replies

Drag/marquee select turns screen black??

Ocasionally, with my student version of Maya, when I marquee/drag select something, the working area of the screen (just the middle part; shelfs, etc. not included) will turn black. This forces me to quit and reopen Maya because I cannot select anything by dragging. The problem usually resolves after a restart of Maya, but then later arrises again. I don't know if this has something to do with my student version of Maya. Is there a way for me to fix this?? Please help!

49 REPLIES 49
Message 2 of 50

I have got the problem on multiple machines.
Message 3 of 50

The only thing I can think of that might fix it is to make sure your video card driver is up to date. If it is then you can try to delete the user preferences and see if that does anything.

Here is a link describing where the user preferences file is:

http://polygonspixelsandpaint.tumblr.com/post/6905624150

Greg Hendrix - Senior Technical Animator
LinkedIn : Twitter
Message 4 of 50

My studetns are having the same kind of issues - we are using Maya 2015 - any suggestions

Message 5 of 50

Update to the latest service pack!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone
Message 6 of 50

Same problem for me, and I found that only happend when I "open recent file", so I will open my folder and double click the file to open it and it turns well without that problem.

Hope it helps.

Message 7 of 50
pshwayka
in reply to: pianotrumpet6288

I can reproduce this problem, but only when running Maya on OS X.  Doesn't seem to happen when using Maya in boot camp.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open the file from the original post in this thread:
  2. http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/modeling/mesh-problem/m-p/5509941#M10171
  3. Select the mesh, and enable smooth mesh preview.  (3 key)
  4. Go into vertex mode, and try to drag-select a vertex.  Screen goes black during selection...and if you toggle back out of smooth mesh preview (1 key) the problem continues.

BTW, this happens under Yosemite...not sure if trying it under Mavericks gets the same result.  Also, the problem continues until you exit Maya and start it up again...even if you create a new scene without exiting Maya.

Message 8 of 50
pshwayka
in reply to: pshwayka

One other thing...this appears to be a Viewport 2.0 issue.  A quick workaround if you do not want to exit Maya and restart it is to switch to one of the legacy viewport renderers.

Message 9 of 50

Possible way around:

1. Quit maya.

2. Open Maya.

3. New Scene, select selection tool. Click and drag few times in the viewport.

4. Open your project with the problem.

It should work...for me is working!

Message 10 of 50
pshwayka
in reply to: madduck85

Yup!

Message 11 of 50
klobianco
in reply to: madduck85

IT'S, ALIIIIIIIVE!!!

Thanks, the solution worked XD.
Message 12 of 50
peter

This is still happening in Maya 2016 OSX using Maverick.  Anyone else still getting this issue?

Cheers,

Peter

Tags (1)
Message 13 of 50
pshwayka
in reply to: peter

I can reproduce this issue with consistency running Maya 2016 SP2 under OSX 10.10.4 on a late 2013 Mac Pro with AMD D700 graphics.

Here are the steps:

1. Configure viewport for OpenGL. (Not OpenGL Core Profile)
  2. Create a polygon primitive (sphere, for example.)
  3. Enable smooth mesh preview with '3' key.
  4. Select crease tool.
  5. Double-click on an edge loop to select.
  6. Drag with middle mouse button to crease.
  7. Hit 'q' to enable selection tool. Make sure it is set to Marquee selection mode.
  8. Left-click drag in viewport.  Screen goes black until you release the mouse button.

The workaround for this particular workflow is to use the OpenGL Core profile, but I hope this information is useful for AD. Note that if you do the crease before enabling smooth mesh preview, the problem does not occur.

@syracoj

Message 14 of 50
peter

Thanks syracoj,

It seems that it's something to do with smooth mesh view as I'm not modelling I'm just using a rig that has smooth mesh preview applied. 

Thanks for the tips I'll use the core viewer for now then.

Many thanks,

Peter

Message 15 of 50
pshwayka
in reply to: peter

You're welcome! Actually, I'm not syracoj....he's a QA guy at Autodesk, and I mentioned him to draw his attention.

Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 50

I have this problem as well. 

I just installed the latest Maya LT demo  (2016), latest software, latest graphics drivers.

Windows 7 (64 bit)

Nvidia geforce gtx 970

If I shut down maya and restart, it goes away but I expect this will keep coming back which is very annoying! I was very excited about using it with stingray!

If there is any permanent work arounds for this please let me know. I plan to upgrade to windows 10 soon and if that helps I will post updates here.

Message 17 of 50
dulaney

I've been having this issue with Maya 2015 and Maya 2016 on a Macbook Pro 15 (Retina) on 10.10.5. Sometimes the only workaround is to restart the computer and even that does not resolve it sometimes. 

Message 18 of 50
syracoj

so who has lighting turned on in the VP2?

We have a known issue that is still in the "needs to be fixed queue"

its MAYA-39908 "Drag selection makes VP2 go black on Mac (Open Sub-D)

which sounds very similar to what you guys are experiencing. If not the same thing. <- but I have no imperical evidence to back that up.

Here is some food for thought to play around with.

Here is some of the repro data from our internal log.

//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

REPRO FROM SCRATCH:
-file > new
-create sphere
-select polySphere and press 3 to smooth (IMPORTANT STEP)
-press 7 to switch to lighting mode (IMPORTANT STEP)
-save scene as foo.mb
-close maya
-in new terminal, navigate to 2016 prefs and delete (<- THIS IS WHATS WICKED ABOUT THE BUG, CLEANING PREFS DOESNT CORRECT IT, IN FACT, IT SEEMS TO MAKE THE PROBLEM SURFACE)
-after prefs have been deleted, re-launch maya
-yes to new prefs and checkbox out of the popup windows that launch on new prefs
-open foo.mb scene
-when it completely loads in, draw a selection marquee in viewport
RESULT=black viewport

the smooth is one of the problems.
the smooth along with the 'Use all lights' set to on (in the viewport) when saved into a scene seems to be a problem when that scene is re-opened in a Maya intance with clean prefs.

IMPORTANT NOTE
Creating the simple sphere test scene and switching the smooth mesh display type from Open Sub-d to Maya Catmul-Clark corrects this problem. When the scene is reopened in a clean pref'ed scene (whose prefs will default to use Open Sub-d) the issue does not occur. This suggests a problem with Open Sub-d.

A WORKAROUND IS TO:

-Open the problematic scene that has the issue on fresh prefs

-switch the preferences from OpenSubD Catmull-Clark to Maya Catmull-Clark

-turn off the viewport lighting (Use all Lights)

-save the scene

-shutdown Maya

-restart Maya, open the scene, should be fine

^THIS ASSUMES THIS IS INDEED THE SAME ISSUE YOU GUYS ARE EXPERIENCING.

If not, then we can look into this further.

Hope some of this info helps

Message 19 of 50
syracoj

hey pshwayka,

I was not able to repro with these steps.

I tried also turning on the viewport 'use all lights' with these steps and was unable to repro that way either.

Message 20 of 50
dulaney
in reply to: syracoj

That does accurately describe my issue (and I'm on a mac). However it has nothing to do with lighting. 

I can reproduce the issue as follows:

1) New Scene

2) Create Geometry

3) Press 3 for Smooth Preview

4) Save Scene with Smooth Preview still active

5) Quit Maya

6) Reopen Maya and Scene

7) Drag in the viewport, it will turn black

So, it only occurs when I'm opening a scene that has an object that has already been smoothed with OpenSubdiv Catmull-Clark. I just tested it, and it doesn't occur with Maya Catmull-Clark. 

That being said, is there any detriment to using the Maya one instead of the OpenSubdiv one? What are the differences? I'm happy to just use the Maya as a default in the meantime. I had no idea that this would solve the issue until I read this thread. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report