Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2
BamBamm
419 Views, 1 Reply

CPUs & GPUs

First Question: Does having multiple processors make a difference over a single CPU? If so, what is the max CPUs that 3DS Max utilize?

Second Question: What is utilized more in 3DS Max, CPU or GPU?

I know BOTH are important, but what one matters the most?

Third Question: Should I use multiple GPUs?
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
jeff
in reply to: BamBamm

(From my experience, others may differ)
First Question: Does having multiple processors make a difference over a single CPU? If so, what is the max CPUs that 3DS Max utilize?

Yes yes yes yes. But not always. Some operations in Max are not multi-threaded; some cannot be. So, creating shadow maps only uses one CPU (these days, one CPU "core"). Most significant rendering operations are multi-threaded; Mental Ray for example almost always uses 100% of everything available. As far as I know, the maximum cores used are limited by the operating system. A single hex-i7 gives you 12 cores. Dual quad-Xeons will use 16 cores. I presume you could use a quad hex-Xeon for 48 cores, but I'm not certain (you might need a Server OS for that, possible incompatibilities).

Second Question: What is utilized more in 3DS Max, CPU or GPU?

Depends on what you're doing. In very general terms, GPU more for modeling, CPU more for rendering.

I know BOTH are important, but what one matters the most?

Again, it depends. Do you spend most of your time working with massive models and not much rendering, or do you mostly need super photo-real rendering of "lightweight" models?

Third Question: Should I use multiple GPUs?

Personally, I would put the money somewhere else (CPU(s), memory, etc.)

-jeff
Max since 1992 (3d Studio) · Win 10-64 · Wintel workstation · 64 GB RAM · nVidia Quadro RTX 4000 · BB render garden via Deadline

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report