Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are these specs good for vray 3ds max rendering??

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
ali.safiaddine
6288 Views, 6 Replies

Are these specs good for vray 3ds max rendering??

hello all

my question is are these specs good for 3ds max 3d rendering??

HP PREMIUM SERIES
ENVY 17T
4TH GENERATION CORE I7 4700
16GB DDR3 RAM
750GB HDD
GT740 2GB DEDICATED UP TO 5GB
HD 1600X900 LED SCREEN

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
darawork
in reply to: ali.safiaddine

Specs seem ok, although I personally wouldn't use a laptop for rendering. They get too hot and die before long. Depends on what you are using it for though; 24/7 straight number crunching torture or a quick few pictures for college?

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 3 of 7
ali.safiaddine
in reply to: darawork

hello, thank you for replying

I am an engineer student and i want to use this laptop for my final project..

i know desktops are better for renderings but i have no choice

i have another choice with Toshiba Qosmio

Qosmio specs:

core i7

16gb ram

1tb Hdd

vga: gtx 670 3gb ddr5

are thse specs good for rendering??

thank you

Message 4 of 7

Depends on which renderer you intend to use. Scanline/Mental Ray/Vray do not use the graphics card for rendering. Iray/Quicksilver/VrayRT do.
The GTX is a consumer card. While it will (probably) work it is not made to withstand 100% usage for hour after hour of rendering. For that kind of work you really need a workstation quality card (Quadro).
For normal Vray the Toshiba looks a better machine, but watch out for overheating problems with long renders (most laptops seem to suffer from it).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 5 of 7
darawork

Here is a list of 'top 10 workstation laptops' fwiw; http://www.notebookcheck.net/Top-10-Workstation-Laptops.65537.0.html

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 6 of 7
ali.safiaddine
in reply to: darawork

Thank you guys this is really helpful

Message 7 of 7
eodeo

As long as your cooling is good (non laptop) GTX or radeon cards will render just fine. With that said, they are not desinged to render 24/7 and may die, but that's what warranty is for. Most GPUs come with at least 3year warranty- and that gives you plenty of time before the cards get obsolete and you want to get the new ones anyway.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report