Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD or NVIDIA GPU for 3ds Max/Revit/AutoCAD?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
9184 Views, 2 Replies

AMD or NVIDIA GPU for 3ds Max/Revit/AutoCAD?

Hello!

I'm helping a friend choose a GPU for his computer, but since I don't have much experience with Autodesk software I don't really know what to choose. I've searched around but I wasn't really able to find much information, I found some things but some were old posts and I don't know if what they say is still true.

He'll be using 3ds Max, Revit and AutoCAD if that makes a difference.

With his budget he'd be able to get either a R9 280X from AMD or a GTX 960 from nVidia. I'd like you to help me decide which one to pick.

Thanks in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
darawork
in reply to: Anonymous

nVidia would be my choice, solely based upon 3DSMAXs ability to speed up rendering by using the nVidia GPU CUDA cores on the card. Currently AMD GPUs cannot do this natively with 3DSMAX.

http://revitonic.com/revit-hardware/

http://international.download.nvidia.com/quadro/industry-solution/pdf/10180_Autodesk3dsMax_SolutionO... (Right-click download PDF)

Quadro cards are the flamboyant high-flying cousins of welfare-claiming GeForce cards, but both work equally well.

Also if your friend uses any of the Adobe CC suite, several of their titles also utilise the CUDA cores in nVidia GPUs.

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: darawork

Thanks! Ok, then I guess he'll get the 960.

Again, thanks for your help! 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report