Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

64bit Vista 2008 Install MR RPC DLL Load Error

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
947 Views, 14 Replies

64bit Vista 2008 Install MR RPC DLL Load Error

I'm receiving this warning dialog error when Max starts up:

Loading DLLs ->
DLL <C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2008\plugins\rpc.dlo> failed to initialize.
Error Code: 193 - %1 is not a valid Win32 Application.

Which makes a certain kind of sense, no doubt it's a 32 bit DLL trying to run in 64bit space.

And then continuing along, the Mental Ray message dialog displays the following error messages:

LINK 0.0 error 191007: cannot load ./RPCapi.dll, unknown error code 193, check Win32 manual
LINK 0.0 error 191007: cannot load ./RPCavMR.dll, unknown error code 193, check Win32 manual
LINK 0.0 error 191007: cannot load ./RPCcls.dll, unknown error code 193, check Win32 manual
LINK 0.0 error 191007: cannot load ./RPCFilterHost.dll, unknown error code 193, check Win32 manual
LINK 0.0 error 191007: cannot load ./RPCJPeg.dll, unknown error code 193, check Win32 manual
API 0.0 warn 302004: RPCavMR.mi, line 17: while defining declaration "RPC_texture": declaring nonexisting function RPC_texture

Does anyone know how I easily make it go away ?

This was just a simple standard network deployment of Max ...
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

One possibility is that the files listed are damaged somehow, either by a virus, a failure during download or install, a problem with the harddisk, or a simple file system corruption. (Googling the Windows error message 193 gives lots of possibilities).

If this same deployment worked on other PCs, I would check general system health on this one PC, uninstall, reboot, and reinstall. Just a thought...

--Cy--
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous

While the original DVD file could be bad, I doubt it's a hardware/disk problem.

I'll flatten the machine and retry this again to see if I get the same error, but I'm quite certain it's not hardware related.
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

Hiya Rhenley, please come post when you try it out. I'm building a 64 bit system soon when all the parts arrive. I'd be curious to know if it happens to all vista 64 bit users. BTW did you get Max 2008 64 bit?

-Line
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

I'll bet Cy hasn't done this installation I had a question about. It's certainly a DVD problem, and not one related to my hardware. I'm not sure it's limited to Vista either, but it appears to be a 64 bit problem. I don't see these warnings with the 32 bit version.

The Installation documentation in a couple of places states this rather flakey information here:

Autodesk 3ds Max 2008 Installation Guide > Supplemental Tools and Utilities > Optional Tools > Optional Tools Installed from DVD 1 > Partners/Plug-Ins

Autodesk 3ds Max includes several partner plug-ins.

Warning You need to install Autodesk 3ds Max 2008 and also run it at least once before installing these plug-ins. This will improve the compatibility of the plug-ins with Autodesk 3ds Max 2008.

Warning Before installing the plug-ins (RPC™ Plug-Ins from ArchVision™, Inc., ...

Well since I never chose to install the RPC plugin with the installation I wondered what was up with that. The network installation by default installs the RPC plugin and there appears no way to deselect that option from the install.

Even downloading and installing a similarly dated but differing in file sizes RPC plugin from http://www.archvision.com/ doesn't solve the problem.

The uninstall included with the RPC install only removes one file, and leave many others behind. The RPC install never appears to create any type of log file about what it's up to during installation.

So I just removed all the files in these 64 bit folders to get rid of the warning messages:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2008\mentalray\shaders_autoload\shaders

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2008\plugins

It's definitely a bad DVD, but I'll bet everyone else received this via subscription too.

If archvision manages to provide a actual solution to this issue, I'll update this post.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous

Well, I just installed 2008 max trial on my brand new vista 64 bit machine that I built myself on Monday evening (8 hours!) and I didn't get any error. However, I did notice that when I went to install max that it gave me the option to install the 32bit as well as the 64 bit. I unchecked the boxes for 32 bit program and 32bit help.

Perhaps that could be a reason for your 32bit notice, maybe you didn't uncheck that.

-Line
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

You may also want the 32bit version installed on 64bit machines when you are running a render farm where other clients are 32bit.

You can't send 32bit renders to 64bit. So I installed both versions which is the default.

So yes I believe your reasoning is correct. However I still think there was a problem just attempting to use the 64bit plugin downloaded from ArchVision. Since I tried several solutions a few days ago, I'm not sure if I made the problem less clear to me at this point.

Did the the RPC plugin install on your 64bit system ?
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

unfortunately i can't give you a reply till saturday, i flashed my bios to update it to recognize my cpu and the bios got corrupted (as well as many other people who got the same ASUS p5k3 deluxe wifi/ap motherboard) because the windows bios utility has a problem.

So when my new motherboard arrives friday, ill let you know if the rpc plugin is in there on saturday 🙂

-Line
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

ok bud!

Seems to be working for me. No errors or missing info.

-Line
Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

After I removed the problem installations, and when I then installed the 64bit download from ArchVision, I still had warning errors in the mental Ray message window.

I had to open the message window it to see these:

LINK 0.0 info : ./RPCapi.dll: miSetModuleHandle() not found, shaders do not use mental ray API
LINK 0.0 progr: module #11 (./RPCapi.dll) loaded
LINK 0.0 progr: module #12 (./RPCavMR.dll) loaded
LINK 0.0 info : ./RPCcls.dll: miSetModuleHandle() not found, shaders do not use mental ray API
LINK 0.0 progr: module #13 (./RPCcls.dll) loaded
LINK 0.0 info : ./RPCJPeg.dll: miSetModuleHandle() not found, shaders do not use mental ray API
LINK 0.0 progr: module #14 (./RPCJPeg.dll) loaded
MI 0.0 progr: parsing file RPCavMR.mi

So you're not seeing those either ?
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

do you know that rpc comes with 2008 and doesn't need to be downloaded seperately in 2008?

-Line
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

Yes of course it's the cause of this. But my problem is either way (download or Max rpc installer) I get those Mental Ray errors ...

And you ?
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

hey all , so u mean that RPC is still not working on 3dsmax 2009?? cz i have the same prob and tried reinstalling rpc and 3dsmax 2009 and tried replacing .dlo files,but still have errors as u mentionned before.
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

I didn't have this error on 2009, but after the 2008 issues I'm sure I didn't add it to the deployment so I could test this out for them again.
Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

The same to me!
I have Vista 64bits and Max 2009 64bits. It´s my first time on x64 environment.
I installed RPC for Max 2009, but as usual, I installed the 32bits. Max gave me those errors, so I uninstalled the RPC, clear Max folders from RPC files and installed RPC x64.
Even with Max 2009 x64 with RPC x64 working fine, I still get those error messages.
Looks like some of those .INI Mental Ray files have a path to locate the old RPC DLLs and I don´t know where or how I can change the files to stop seeking the old RPC files.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report