Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3dsImport.bundle in Maya 2014 Student (Mac OS X Mavericks) seems not to work

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
systems
1162 Views, 7 Replies

3dsImport.bundle in Maya 2014 Student (Mac OS X Mavericks) seems not to work

I am trying to get a .3ds file (exported from ArchiCAD) into my Student Edition of Maya 2014.

I installed the Maya Bonus Tools 2014 and additionally downloaded the 3dsImport.bundle, putting it into the macOS folder of the bonus tools.

I checked a hundred times if the plugin is loaded in the plugin-manager but everything that happens when I import the .3ds file is that Maya creates a simple transform node.

Does anybody have an idea why my .3ds import does not work?

I am very thankful for your help!

Caspar

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
n8skow
in reply to: systems

Is the 3ds file you are importing a known good file?

Message 3 of 8
systems
in reply to: n8skow

Actually not because I don't have another 3D Programm on my Mac that can read 3ds files.
But I tried fbx conversion and than imported the fbx file into Maya. That works, although my mentalray chrashes when I render. Never happend before. I'm not shure if the fbx file is alright. Therefore I am still hoping to get the 3ds import working...
Message 4 of 8
n8skow

Are you able to upload the 3ds file in question here?

Message 5 of 8
systems

Of course, it's exported out of ArchiCAD also with Material Information. I hope it works.

Thanks in advance

Caspar

Message 6 of 8
n8skow

Importing it on my mac here - I get a blank scene. Opening the hypergraph and outliner - there appears to be nothing in the scene.

When I try to import it on my PC - Maya tells me 'unrecognized file type'. Looking like it's an issue with the file. Do you have - or know someone that could attempt to open it in 3DSMAX?

Message 7 of 8
Steve_Curley

I checked it earlier - it's (how can I put this politely?) messy.
It imports at a tiny size - the entire model (excluding the Sun and the Camera) is ~6cm at its widest.
I couldn't use the Rescale World utility until I applied a Reset XForm to every object (it all flew apart).
None of the vertices are welded.
Both the Sun and the Camera Targets have got hieroglyphics in their names.
I didn't even bother extracting the images, though looking at one or 2 of the materials inside Max they look as though they'd be ok - if they import correctly (path-wise).

Apart from all that it does import and looks ok, but would need some work (in Max) to make is usable. No idea how Maya will deal with it (I don't have it).

BadTargetNames.png

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 8 of 8
systems
in reply to: Steve_Curley

@n8skow
That does sound very strange. Too bad I don't know anybody who got 3DSMAX.

@Steve_Curley
Ok, I think this is the work of ArchiCAD Export. The only export option I can customize there is the scaling.
I assume that this messiness is the cause for my mental ray crash...

Nevertheless, thank you both for checking the file, maybe I need another way to get from ArchiCAD to Maya. Object Export works fine, but then I have to apply all materials manually, lots of work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report