Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Studio max 8 crashes on startup for the first time...

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
574 Views, 11 Replies

3D Studio max 8 crashes on startup for the first time...

Hello everyone.
I own a 3D Studio Max 8 license from many years and I recently bought 3ds max 8 bible from amazon.com.
Whishing to get my hands on the quick start tutorial, I copyed the ebook on my hard drive from the companion dvd and tryed to start 3ds max.
Upon seeing "inizializing 3d studio max" splash screen, after a few seconds I receive an error and the program crashes for the first time ever from when I own it.
Why?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bye, Berserk.
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

System specs? You haven't given us much to go on there.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

I have a laptop with a centrino duo processor (1.67 ghz), 2 gb ram and an original windows xp home edition with service pack 2.
By the way, yesterday I tryed rebooting the system (because I usually suspend it) and now the problem changed to the end of the splash screen: when the splash screen says "starting 3ds max" 3ds max hangs there and takes forever to load.

Thanks again for any help.

Bye, Berserk.
P.S.: I also installed the service pack 3.
Message 4 of 12
companioncube

try reinstalling max
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

I will try this evening and let you know later. Thanks.
I probably forgot to mention I have an ATI X1400 video card.

Bye, Berserk.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

I failed trying to reinstall max, as the original CD is somewhere in a box since I'm not at home anymore.
I tryed using an evaluation version and doing a repair installation, but the installer gives me an error about the used 3dsMax8.msi.
What can I do? Will downloading the latest max 8 evaluation version solve the problem?
I would also like some official autodesk support here.

Bye, Berserk.
Message 7 of 12
Steve_Curley

No such thing - the only trial version available is always the current one - 2010 at present. Unless you can find a copy elsewhere - a magazine cover disk for example.

No Autodesk support here - this is a peer-to-peer forum (users to users only).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

Thanks. As far as you know, will the trial version work with a previous installed license if I disinstall and reinstall?
To say it better, my idea is to disinstall max and hope the license stays there until I install the evaluation version I found on the book's DVD.
Will this work?

Thanks again.

Bye, Berserk.
Message 9 of 12
Steve_Curley

I don't know. Some people have reported problems installing old versions when a newer one is, or has been, installed. You havent said which OS you're using. Max 8 probably won't work on Vista, may work on Win7 in XP compatibility mode.

The license should stay there, but will only be valid for the version which installed it - 2010 won't work with a Max 8 license. And there's no difference in the software between a trial and the full version - it's the license which determines the type of installation (commercial/student/trial).

Remember that a trial is only valid for 30 days. After that Max will not run (unless you buy a license, of course).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

I already sayd I have an original windows xp home edition above, however I have a max 8 trial on the book's dvd.
I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling then. Thanks.

Bye, Berserk.
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

No way, uninstalling and reinstalling the software causes the same error. I'm afraid I just can garbage my license...

Bye, Berserk.
Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

No way, uninstalling and reinstalling the software causes the same error. I'm afraid I just can garbage my license...

Bye, Berserk.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report