Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What dwg objects can be used in IW?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
neilyj666
966 Views, 9 Replies

What dwg objects can be used in IW?

The subject says it all really - what objects can be brought into IW and how are they configured?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
neilyj666
in reply to: neilyj666

No takers??

Solids, meshes etc etc??

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
tcorey
in reply to: neilyj666

Ok. I'll bite.

If I am sending polylines, I export to SDF. If I am sending solids, I export to FBX. Civil 3D objects, export to IMX.

Does that help?

Happy holidays, Neil.

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 10
neilyj666
in reply to: tcorey

Thanks for this I'll try the solids one after the holidays.

I'm trying to determine the best options for producing visuals and Infraworks is my preference at the moment. I think 3ds Max is a bit too specialized with a steep learning curve and I'm going to explore Navisworks in the New Year.

Infraworks is great for speed especially in 3D views but a bit fiddly on occasions.

EESignature

Message 5 of 10

I'm interested in why the export to sdf? I've so far been bringing in any polylines (such as parcels or generic bldg extents, or very basic road layout) from an AutoCAD file that has only that item I'm interested in. What are the advantages to sdf over CAD?

Thanks,

David

Message 6 of 10

Using SDF (or SHP) you can send multiple polylines and you can attach object data that can be used in stylizing the object once it reaches Infraworks.

For example, a polyline that represents a building can have an object data field for height and then that value can make the building automatically have that height in InfraWorks. 

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 7 of 10
acoghill

I've inserted an ACAD dwg into IW using the data sources. Its contains the property boundary lines. The issue i'm having is finding the right "type" as once its set it cannot be changed that I can see. The cad file uses a local geo-location, so correct placement wasn't an issue.

I've tried:

barrier (which gives a height),

coverage areas (doesnt work as it also limits the file and flattens the terrian)

Point of interest (didnt seem to do anything)

any other ideas

Message 8 of 10

I ran into something similar. I didn't follow through as for the model I didn't need the property line, but, one thought could be to import the property line as a road? Create a new road style that is simply say a thick red line that lies flat on the terrain. Would need to create a new material group for this as well.

Message 9 of 10
tcorey
in reply to: acoghill

You should be using shp or sdf export from AutoCAD instead of inserting the dwg into InfraWorks. Once you do that you'll have the control you expect based on the object type you set in configuring the data source.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 10 of 10
ChrisD2012Tonkin

I am really having problems getting AutoCAD solids into IW, I have tried various methods with no luck. Can someone give me instructions to how to do this? As I do not yet use Revit I need to use AutoCAD solids for my special structures. Cheers,

(Attached a basic CAD file so you at least can see what solids I am going to use)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report