Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using point clouds

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
tcorey
1179 Views, 7 Replies

Using point clouds

I have an RCP point cloud file of a building. I want to view in Infraworks.

I can import into Infraworks, but all I get after all the processing is a flat surface. Shouldn't I see the point cloud in 3D?

I have not imported any other data, just the point cloud. Is that a possible issue? Do I have to have a terrain first?

Thanks in advance for any advice....

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
DarrenP
in reply to: tcorey

i just tried it here you should see a point cloud in 3d i do not have a terrain imported or anything else

could be a graphics card issue?

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8
DarrenP
in reply to: DarrenP

an example

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
tcorey
in reply to: DarrenP

Thanks, Darren, that's what I am expecting to see, but I just get a flat plane. I'm going to keep playing with it. Maybe I don't have the coordinate system setup correclty. That could screw it up, right?

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 5 of 8
DarrenP

i don't know

when i brought that point cloud in it was already setup with a coordinate system by default

i just put it as 0,0,0

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 6 of 8
martin.huxol

Hi

That a flat surface has been generated is actually a good sign, because it means that the point cloud was valid and could be generated. It could be, that the point cloud has a large offset and is way over the terrain, or mybe below it. In order to make sure the point cloud is visible at all you can import into a model that has a terrain and place it manually. Once you see it there then you know if it is visible and the you can play around with the offest during import in order to place it where it should go.

I hope this helps,

Martin

Message 7 of 8
tcorey
in reply to: martin.huxol

That's got to be it. For some reason, this customer's point cloud has z values over 24,000. Thanks, Martin.

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Message 8 of 8
tcorey

Follow up.

I was originally trying to view the point cloud as a single object in a blank session of InfraWorks. If I viewed from below ground, I could see the point cloud way up, dare I say it?, in the clouds.

If I insert a surface first, then I can place the point cloud and give it a point in my state plane coord sys as its local origin. Once I adjust the local z a few times, voila, point cloud in InfraWorks.

Martin, thanks. Your post made the lightbulb come one.

Tim

Tim Corey
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report