Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using map servers like Open Street Map?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
jeffmorris
2258 Views, 12 Replies

Using map servers like Open Street Map?

Is it possible to use map servers like Open Street Map in AIM?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
nzeeben
in reply to: jeffmorris

Currently Infrastructure modeller does not directly read the PBF or XML formats provided by open street map.   However as suggested here you could process the data provided into a format that AIM can use. 

http://planet.openstreetmap.org/

Nick Zeeben
Group Product Manager
Message 3 of 13
Chris_Baze
in reply to: nzeeben

Any update to this now that model builder is able to utilize OSM?

Message 4 of 13
nzeeben
in reply to: Chris_Baze

The model builder service can be leveraged to bring OSM data into a model, there is not a direct import available in the product.  If there is a specific mapping service you are interested in connecting to it is possible that a connection could be established via the data connection interface.  There are numerous connections available from the OSEGO and OGR libraries, along with WFS connections.  The OSM provider is not currently in the list.

Nick Zeeben
Group Product Manager
Message 5 of 13
sduffin
in reply to: nzeeben

Now that we are in 2020 is there a way to directly import OpenStreetMap data into Infraworks?  It is my understanding that some of the initial model-builder info comes from OpenStreetMap, but there is much more data that I would like to tap if at all possible.  Has someone figured out a way to do this?  Or can Autodesk weigh in on this topic?  Thanks in advance for your everyone weighing in on this!

Message 6 of 13
ramesh_sridharan
in reply to: sduffin

Have you tried "Connector for ArcGIS" and access public data from ESRI Living Atlas and other public data?

Regards,

Ramesh S
Product Manager - Infrastructure Solutions

Ramesh.Sridharan@autodesk.com

Ramesh Sridharan
Product Manager
Message 7 of 13
Karsten.Saenger

Hi @sduffin ,

it's not possible to connect to OpenStreetMap data directly and just import data sources.
But as far as I know, you can download OSM data, for example as shape files and separated by topic/feature. It's then possible to import this data source to InfraWorks.

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 8 of 13

@Karsten.Saenger  @jeffmorris @ramesh_sridharan 

There sure is a huge amount of data on OSM.

I use a local sqlite database of relevant OSM  layers which is automatically updated weekly.

I've found that setting up style rules for styling based on OSM attribution can be pretty handy.

I normally just connect to the local database in Infraworks, and it lets me pick the desired layers. It's slightly preferable to SHP, and keeps things all in one place, and you can clip to model extent as required - all smoothly inside Infraworks.

AEC Collection / Safe FME / ESRI ArcGIS / Unreal Engine
Digital Engineering Lead, Compulsive Problem Solver.
Message 9 of 13
sduffin
in reply to: andrewofabley

Thanks for your reply!  Can you provide more details on how you establish a local sql database of OSM layers?  Is this a software download?  Do you manually download from OSM?  Also, once your database is established, can you share more details on how you import that data to Infraworks?

Thanks for your further insight!

Message 10 of 13
sduffin
in reply to: Karsten.Saenger

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Message 11 of 13
sduffin
in reply to: ramesh_sridharan

Ramesh - yes we love the GIS connector, and we do have an ArcGIS Enterprise account, but sometimes OpenStreetMaps has the data I need.  I am still exploring with our GIS folks all that is available through our account.  I guess I am looking at flexibility of accessing many datasources to quickly get the data  I need.  Thanks for your reply!

Message 12 of 13
Karsten.Saenger

Hi @sduffin ,

my idea was to download OSM data sources directly. There are different sites that offer these data for download, for example: http://download.geofabrik.de/

Once you have the shape files you could add these with according feature types in InfraWorks.
Does this make sense?

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 13 of 13
andrewofabley

@sduffin

OSM has an API for data reading - so my colleague set up a process that spatially queries this API for data within my country. This could be implemented a number of ways. We use FME server, but I believe there are python wrappers for the API too. Definitely ask your GIS team, they may be able to assist.

These automated queries are formatted as appropriate for sqlite and saved as a single file on our network, which I can use as a data source directly in Infraworks.

The user interaction is the same as using a multi feature class SDF (for good reasons!).

AEC Collection / Safe FME / ESRI ArcGIS / Unreal Engine
Digital Engineering Lead, Compulsive Problem Solver.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report