Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tree Elevation

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
thoellering2
425 Views, 3 Replies

Tree Elevation

When adding patches of trees on a hill, why do the trees not snap to the elevation of the surface? They seem to all be placed on a flat plain. And its a major hassle to move them. Serious design flaw or working as intended? Its really strange...

And by the way, why not name the trees for what type they are? I'm not a tree person and if I need a Birch tree because the owner requests it, I need to jump through all sorts of trees and figure out what looks like a birch tree. Really amazingly anoying. And if the trees are NOT real trees, why are they notodeled after real trees?

Also, one should be able to  put in the min and max height and tree girth (and rotation for those with roots...).

Cheers,

Thomas

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Hi Thomas. What version of InfraWorks are you using?  I just tested what you're describing in version 2015.3 and the tree elevations conformed to a steep hillside quite nicely.

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Main/Details/3a43c77a-d5f4-4946-a416-212f820f0eae

Eric Chappell
Message 3 of 4

Thanks. I seem to have discovered that the Grip Points, those squares, really want to be on the surface. If they are outside of it or below it, it seems to mess things up. Is using the Snap Override (pressing the CTR key my probelm then? I dont like the way it jumps around, as it does not allow you to finetune things.

Message 4 of 4

Thomas,

I did a quick test with part of my Stand of Trees polygon outside of the available terrain and part inside. The result was that trees in the surface area conformed to the surface and the ones outside were located at elevation zero - so it behaved the way I would have expected.

Not sure what you mean by using the CTR key. When I use the CTRL key while creating objects in the model, the software switches to orbit rather than picking points, which is as it should be.

Maybe this attributable to a difference in versions so let me know what version you are using.

Perhaps a https://screencast.autodesk.com/ would be helpful if you're will to provide one.

Thanks.

Eric

Eric Chappell

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report