Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sketchup Warehouse to AIM

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
BrianHailey
2037 Views, 7 Replies

Sketchup Warehouse to AIM

So, I followed the steps HERE to bring in sketchup buildings into myAIM model but the problem I'm having is the image that is a part of the sketchup file is coming in as well. If I go into 3DS Max and remove the image, the fbx file still has the image and I'm not sure how to get rid of it. Any ideas?

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
BrianHailey
in reply to: BrianHailey

Aha! I figured it out! All by myself! And I'm not telling!

Ok, I'll tell. What I did was to erase the image out of 3DS Max Design, and then, instead of using the Export command, I selected the objects in the model and chose Export Selected. Worked BEAUTIFULLY! http://screencast.com/t/sEQZq5Kl 

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 8
lholland

If there were a AIM wishes page, I'd add a wish to import a SKP directly. 

Message 4 of 8
BrianHailey
in reply to: lholland

Fortunately, most people that will be using AIM have the Infrastructure Design Suite so they have 3DS Max as well. There is a plug in available in the AutoCAD Exchange that will import a Sketchup file directly into AutoCAD but I was having odd results with that. The 3DS Max route seems to work best for me.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 8

And you should be able to "send-to your current 3D model" from 3ds max directly to AIM:

1. open your AIM model you want the 3d model imported into
  2. select the 3D model in 3ds max you want to send-to AIM
  3. select the 3ds max application icon at the top left and then select "send-to AIM"...
  4. the model should then appear "magically" in AIM, where you can configure it and place it interactively

Konstantin.B
Software Architect
Message 6 of 8

That worked really slick. I'll have to try it again with the file with the image and see if I have the same issues (I'm assuming I will because it probably just automates the export everything to fbx command).

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 7 of 8
sconrad77

You can open .skp files using Sketchup Make (Free download) and export to Collada .dae or Autodesk .fbx.  These files work great in Infraworks, just import into the Style Pallet.

Message 8 of 8
BrianHailey
in reply to: sconrad77

Honestly, I just downloaded Sketchup and use that to convert them to the collada file format now.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report