Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Road Centreline (Dashed) draped onto 3D model? (Not Terrain)

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
neilcooper33
1786 Views, 8 Replies

Road Centreline (Dashed) draped onto 3D model? (Not Terrain)

Hi All

I have a road crossing which has been designed in MX, I've imported the triangulation into IW as an FBX file.  I would like to drape down the Road markings onto my 3D model.  The road markings are linetypes in AutoCAD ie. various linetypes but most are 4m dash 2m gap....

Does anyone know how I can go about this please?  I've done a long process where i've opened the linetypes in Microstation, exported as OBJ which retains the gaps in the linetype.  Draped them down onto my geometry using Max to make them 3D, then imported into IW using various different formats, the best attempt was as a 3DS file and setting it to railway in IW but not putting a railway style on it.... leaving just the geometry, however the lines are blue and not white. 

When I import the road markings as an FBX file they are automatically simplified by IW.  even though the simplification is set to 100%....

Any help at all on this would be fantastic 🙂

Thanks in advance..

Neil

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Hi Neil,

this is the same base problem as with the tress on a 3D model - draping only works for surface terrain.

When working with 3D models the model needs to be prepared before importing it into InfraWorks. This means all geometry and textures must be in place so that InfraWorks can handle it as one piece.

Regarding to the FBX issue - this could be a rounding problem. What InfraWorks version are you working with? The FBX support has been improved in the latest version of InfraWorks.
See this article that might help in your case:
http://knowledge.autodesk.com/article/A-3D-model-imported-to-Autodesk-InfraWorks-2014-via-FBX-format...

Regards,
Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 3 of 9

Many thanks for the response 🙂

OK, so do you know how I can get a 3DS file in to IW and retain the textures? this would solve my road markings problem... I have the textures applied in Max but when importing into IW they do not appear.... I drop the texture into the same folder as the 3DS file before importing..

I'm using 2014 R2, I had read the post you sent, and i'd tried relocating to a local grid and importing on the local grid but have the same simplified geometry problem.. i'm hoping the next project we complete will be in 2015 so hopefully that will solve the issue.

thanks

Neil

Message 4 of 9

Hi Neil,

is it possible to share the 3ds file?

Regards,
Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 5 of 9

See attached, thanks so much for your help Karsten

N

Message 6 of 9

Hi Neil,

thanks for the file.

I have imported the 3ds file into InfraWorks (as building) and the texture is there. Zoom in as close as possible and you will see that the image pattern is appied.
I do not know why it is that blue-ish, though - mabye a light isssue?

2014-10-15_1649.png

In general, I am wondering why you don't create a road style that includes the lane markings with your material.

Please do not forget, if you are importing road markings as 3D model (3D faces) at some point the performance will go down due to the amount of data that is rendered in real time.

Another option is to create vector polygons for the road markings and import these as coverage - maybe worth a test.

Regards,
Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 7 of 9

Hi Neil,

I thought about the different possibilities to get a result again.
In the current release there is no way to define or edit the road lane markings. This is planned for a future release.

Actually the optimal workflow would be to use Civil 3D to create the corridor and the corridor surface. Then use the IMX format to import to InfraWorks.
The custom road lane markings could then be created and brought into InfraWorks either as shape coverage or as one raster image where everything is transparent except the lane markings.
Since the corridor is created as corridor surface you can use the "drape" option for the roads.

2014-10-16_1051.png

If you do not have the option to go via Civil 3D and you use a 3D Model in FBX format you should try to texture the 3D model with the lane markings before you safe it as FBX. This way the FBX should be inserted into InfraWorks fully textured.

Hope this helps,
Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 8 of 9
samlytle
in reply to: neilcooper33

This is an excellent post which gives a detailed explanation on how to get striping from Civil 3D into InfraWorks by Robert Cochran.

http://www.civilfx.com/striping-in-infraworks-civil-3d/

I don't like this method for roadways as much because the coverage areas will drape under roads and thus force you to use coverage aras on top of coverage areas which doesn't look that great. However, it is a good option and works very well for parking lots.

-Sam

Civil FX
The art of visualizing engineering design.
Message 9 of 9
neilcooper33
in reply to: samlytle

Many thanks for your help Sam and Karsten, the coverage areas sound the way to go so will try this process this week..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report