Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Road Alignment Stationing in Infraworks

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
chid
1497 Views, 8 Replies

Road Alignment Stationing in Infraworks

Hi,

Is there a way to display the road alignment station labels in Infraworks?  I'm only able to see the stationing labels in profile view.  Also, when I exported the IMX file from Infraworks and imported it into Civil3D, all the Stations were off.  One alignment shows negative stations.  Would really appreciate it if someone could help.

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
tcorey
in reply to: chid

The only way I have found to do this is to turn the station labels into 3d models.

Export your model (be sure there's a corridor) to Civil View.

Open 3DS Max Design and import the vsp3d file you exported.

Open Civil View Explorer. Go to the Tools tab.

Run the Station Text Placement tool.

Select the resultant station labels and then export selected to 3Ds.

Import the 3ds files into Infraworks as 3d models. Voila, stationing!

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 9
savon
in reply to: tcorey

A little late for a response but I am new to Infraworks and just not going through the forum. I have been making points along the alignment at desired length and brining them into Infraworks as a POI with a costume style. I do this method because I work with pipelines and not roads so I am not using corridors.
Message 4 of 9
PLM1987
in reply to: tcorey

@tcorey wrote:

The only way I have found to do this is to turn the station labels into 3d models.

Export your model (be sure there's a corridor) to Civil View.

Open 3DS Max Design and import the vsp3d file you exported.

Open Civil View Explorer. Go to the Tools tab.

Run the Station Text Placement tool.

Select the resultant station labels and then export selected to 3Ds.

Import the 3ds files into Infraworks as 3d models. Voila, stationing!

This might be a long shot but are you still around, tcorey? I am trying to do this exact thing right now and after generating the text in 3ds max, and exporting, I cannot get it to import into infraworks. I've tried exporting as a 3d studio model, FBX, OBJ.... everytime it just doesn't export anything. When I open the model to preview it in 3D viewier it is blank and when i try to import it into infraworks it also doesn't work.... oddly enough if I export the entire scene (surface + everything) it seems to work but I do not want all of that... I only want the text as a 3d object.

Message 5 of 9
andrewofabley
in reply to: PLM1987

@PLM1987 

If you are prepared to share your MAX file, I'm happy to take a look too.

AEC Collection / Safe FME / ESRI ArcGIS / Unreal Engine
Digital Engineering Lead, Compulsive Problem Solver.
Message 6 of 9
PLM1987
in reply to: andrewofabley

@andrewofabley wrote:

@PLM1987 

Awesome please see attached.

I had to remove the surface as it is a 10km corridor so the file was enormous. When I select all of the text mesh in the file, then export to 3d studio file and import into Infraworks I get a 3d model that looks like the attached image.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 7 of 9
PLM1987

@PLM1987 wrote:

@andrewofabley wrote:

@PLM1987 

Awesome please see attached.

I had to remove the surface as it is a 10km corridor so the file was enormous. When I select all of the text mesh in the file, then export to 3d studio file and import into Infraworks I get a 3d model that looks like the attached image.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ended up figuring it out, but is there a way to bring in the 3d model and retain it's georeferencing? At the moment I am having to interactively place it... which is fine as it's just for a visual at the moment but would be good to know if it's possible

Message 8 of 9
andrewofabley

@PLM1987 

I'm assuming that you noticed that your units were set to inches and corrected that, and perhaps you tweaked your export settings? It's working fine at my end once that's sorted.

In order to retain your georeferencing, you will need to know what your export / import offsets are. 3DS Max likes your content close to the origin, so it will often offer you an offset when you import it.

Simply offset it back by the same amount when you import this to Infraworks, and it should behave itself.

Good luck.

AEC Collection / Safe FME / ESRI ArcGIS / Unreal Engine
Digital Engineering Lead, Compulsive Problem Solver.
Message 9 of 9
PLM1987
in reply to: andrewofabley

You are correct on the units.

Also thank you. After entering the offset values that 3ds prompted me with when imported the Civil 3D export the text lined up perfectly!

@andrewofabley wrote:

@PLM1987 

I'm assuming that you noticed that your units were set to inches and corrected that, and perhaps you tweaked your export settings? It's working fine at my end once that's sorted.

In order to retain your georeferencing, you will need to know what your export / import offsets are. 3DS Max likes your content close to the origin, so it will often offer you an offset when you import it.

Simply offset it back by the same amount when you import this to Infraworks, and it should behave itself.

Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report