Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raster image inverted in fbx export file

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
bdolar
1183 Views, 8 Replies

Raster image inverted in fbx export file

Hello!

I have an odd problem. I use IM 2014 (I'm kind of fond to its GUI and can not to addopt to 2015 version) and every time I try to export a model to fbx I face inverted arial images. Raster images (digital orto-photo) looks great in model while inside IM but get somehow rotated 180deg after exporting.

I need to point out, I'm using 2 DOF files draped over terain in this particular model.

I would post some pictures if it's required for an answer.

For fbx viewing I use FBX Review from Autodesk.

Thanks,

Borut

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Karsten.Saenger
in reply to: bdolar

Hi Borut,

sample images are always good to understand the issues correctly.
In your case, do you have Civil 3D 2015 SP1 available for viewing the FBX?
I am not sure but it could be that InfraWorks does write the FBX correctly, but the AutoCAD family has an issue reading it.
Could you please share the FBX so that I can test on my system?
Ideally if you could share the InfraWorks model too or an FBX created with InfraWorks 2015 would be great for some tests?

Thanks and Regards,
Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 3 of 9
bdolar
in reply to: Karsten.Saenger

Hi Karsten,

I attached screenshot of model in IM 2014 and fbx as is shown inside FBX Review. Please note two areas marked on screenshot.

In exported model everything is OK but raster arial image (it's just a draft, not really final model) . As you can see the image is rotated (or fliped) 180 deg and what shold be up is down and vice-versa.It's very disturbing, since this particular model will be eventualy used by one of our important client.

Like I said, I didn't realy use IM 2015, since I don't like GUI (I'm more or less lost). Also I didn't use any of C3D 2015 features for importing the model. Our client will use Autodesk FBX Review for iOS nad Windows, so model needs to work on that platform. That's why I tested this for the first time today and had this problem.

Any work-around or solution would be appreciated a lot.

I can upload IM model, but it's 500 (and something) megs big. The fbx itself is shy of 50 megs. If needed I can upload this one.

Thanks for your time and efford,

Borut

Message 4 of 9
Karsten.Saenger

Hello Borut,

I can see what you mean and I can recreate the issue: I exported a Model Builder project in InfraWorks 360 to FBX format.
When opening it in FBX Review the aerial images are not displayed correctly.
The same FBX in 3ds Max looks fine. Also, when re-opening the FBX in InfraWorks it is also dispalyed correctly in the preview.
I will investigate deeper and will give you an update once I know more.

Regards,
Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 5 of 9
bdolar

It's very nice to see you guys working.... Smiley LOL

I'll wait for further info.

Thanx and regards,

Borut

Message 6 of 9
Karsten.Saenger

Hello Borut,

unfortunately I do not have a solution for you but at least an explanation:
The FBX Review program is based on an image shader (uber-shader) that is not able to do image transformations (scale, rotate, translate, etc.). The images from InfraWorks are georeferenced and draped to the surface using some transformations.

Therefore, this is the reason why the images do not look correctly in the FBX Review program while in other software (i.e. 3ds Max) everything is displayed correctly with the FBX.
If the FBX model used geometry and textures with UV mapping like some 3D modeling software could create the display in FBX review were correct as well.

I have filed a program enhancement wish to the FBX Review Development Team and the first feedback was that it could be added without changing the shader. I cannot promise when this will be done, but I hope soon.

Regards,
Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 7 of 9
bdolar

Hi Karsten,

Good to know you guys are responsive and willing to do code enhancement. I hope it comes to life quickly.

In the mean time I need to find some other suitable software (preferably free) for my client to show-off in front of his friends... 😉

Best regards and many success,

Borut

P.S: 

As a side note - perhaps development team for FBX Review would like to see also this attached detail from the same troubled model showing detail of company logo, initially part of a 3D model of the whole building (originates from SketchUp). It looks good in IW but fliped in fbx export. Strange, since I would expect model of a building to be exported "as is" (perhaps it's sometning about handling images in fbx - this logo is actualy a .jpg image draped on a plate (surface))

Message 8 of 9
Karsten.Saenger

Hello Borut,

customer feedback is always welcome as well as product enhancement wishes. As mentioned there is no guarantee if the wish will make the way into the product, but at least the development team knows what the users need to see in the program.
By the way you can always send feedback and wishes using this web-form: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1073231

Regarding to you additional example I think it falls into the same category of the shader not being able to transform the textures. I will mention it to the development team as well.

Regarding the show off with the models have you considered using InfraWorks 360?
http://autodesk.typepad.com/bimagination/2014/03/infraworks-360-share-your-models-to-ipad-and-browse...

Regards,
Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 9 of 9
bdolar

Karsten,

Heh, I think my subscription plan doesn't cover 360 license... We have only suite coverage, plus I'm not really fond in "Cloud this and Cloud that". Beside that we have some excess calculating capabilities within our company so the cloud services for that are not needed.

I'm used to keep things in my hands and also rejecting Autodesk recent cow-milking policy. That's why I often use previous editions software for some tasks because some cool features suddenly drop out on the next edition. And it's a shame.

The only thing I really miss in IW (suite) is additional pay-module (which should be free and included) for roads (intersections) and bridges. Everything else is more or less fine for my use.

Besides, it's still "crisis" in my country so prices for our services are down but expences go through the roof-top.

Best regards,

Borut

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report