Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with 3D modeling, I need Help!

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
davewebb
1037 Views, 11 Replies

Problem with 3D modeling, I need Help!

Hello Forum,

I have created a 3d model in AutoCAD (civil 3D 2015) but when i export it to Infraworks 2015 (as fbx and dxf) the files are rubbish (see attached photos)  I have also tried to export from Navis simulate and it looks good in navis but rubbish as a FBX.

What am i doing wrong?

All help will be appreciated

David

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Karsten.Saenger
in reply to: davewebb

Hi David,

this issue could be caused due to a scaling and rounding problem. Points in the 3D model that are too close are merged to one point.
Try scaling your AutoCAD models by 1000 and export then to FBX. When importing to InfraWorks scale it down again by 0.001.

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 3 of 12
klingenstein

Hello Forum,

I have many buildings measured with eaves height and roof height. The roofs are displayed as 3D surface and the walls as extrudionierte surface. How can I export the building from AutoCAD to Autodesk Infrastructure Modeler? Thanks for reply.

Message 4 of 12

Hi,

I'd suggest to convert the buildings into 3D solids, since InfraWorks might have problems reading the faces and extruded surfaces.
Then use FBX as file export and insert the data into InfraWorks as 3D model.

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 5 of 12

Thank you for your answer. And how can I convert? Is there a command?

Message 6 of 12
klingenstein
in reply to: klingenstein

I have yet a question. I would like to import an aerial imagery and after convert is at 0 meter. Although I have already imported digital terrain model.

Message 7 of 12

Hello,

usually the aerial images are draped on a surface if these cover each other.
I have created a quick demonstration as screencast:
https://screencast.autodesk.com/main/details/b96eda87-ac72-4c23-868b-8b8ad56155af
I loaded an aerial image (tif + world file) in Civil 3D, created a surface underneath, exported the surface as IMX, loaded both (surface + image) in InfraWorks.

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 8 of 12

Unfortunately there is no command in AutoCAD to convert the extruded surfaces and 3D faces to a solid. The best would be to re-model the buildings as solids.
It might be possible to convert or import the drawing to other 3D modeling programs and create solids that can be read by InfraWorks from there.

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 9 of 12
davewebb
in reply to: Karsten.Saenger

Karsten,

It was a scaling problem, but not because the points are to close, but the drawing is to far from the origin in autocad.

I think the fbx export needs to have a co-ordinate shift parameter to allow the models to export to infraworks.

Regards,

David

Message 10 of 12
Karsten.Saenger

Hi David,

thanks for the feedback and good to hear that you found a solution.
I have updated the according knowledge article in the Autodesk Knowledge Base:
http://knowledge.autodesk.com/article/A-3D-model-imported-to-Autodesk-InfraWorks-2014-via-FBX-format...

Regards,
Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 11 of 12
Wind.Wu

the root cause would be the 3d entites are far way from the orgin in the dwg file. To get a better exported FBX file, You can try to

1. move them to a new location near the origin. 

2. use the selected entities as below in the FBX export options dialog

selected entities.PNG

Message 12 of 12
Wind.Wu
in reply to: klingenstein

Hi klingenstein, I have filed a ticket for the issue of importing the Mesh and Face objects from AutoCAD. So far, I could not get a workaround for it. Both FBX and NWD do not work per my test. Thank you for reporting this issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report