Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Positioning wind turbines

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
neilyj666
805 Views, 10 Replies

Positioning wind turbines

I currently position wind turbines for fly through presentations by eye using points of interest. The turbines are in a civil 3d drawing as cogo points and I want to use an sdf file or similar to  import the turbines directly to IW and use these locations to apply the points of interest. Can this be done and if so how can I do it?

Thanks

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
neilyj666
in reply to: neilyj666

To clarify - rather than guessing the locations I want to use the actual locations but I can't see how I could do this

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
jutters

Should be pretty straight forward:

1. Select your point-based FDO data source (e.g. SHP, SDF, etc.) providing the positions for import and open the data source config dialog for it (opens automatically if you drag&drop the file into the scene, otherwise double-click the data source in the Data Source Explorer)
2. Set the target class/type to "City Furniture"
3. For the "Rule Style" property mapping select the 3d model style "3D Model\Energy\Wind Turbine - Land/Sea"
4. Click "Close and Refresh"

Done - the geo-referenced points defined by your external file should be represented as city furniture features within the model scene using the wind turbine 3d model as instanced model.
Message 4 of 11
neilyj666
in reply to: jutters

Brilliant - thanks for this; you don't know how much time this will save...:)

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
tcorey

Friend, you need to post more. I've read two posts from you and they were both very helpful. Thanks!

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 6 of 11
jutters
in reply to: tcorey

Thanks, appreciated 🙂

Where I can be of any help, I'll try to step in.

Enjoy the journey (as one fellow uses to say).
Message 7 of 11
neilyj666

The positioning is working great but the turbines are all defaulting to 67m high whereas they need to be 125m.

I can select one and scale the X,Y & Z by (125/67) but how can I select all the turbines at once  to do a one time scale change?

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
jutters

Easiest would probably be to use a 3d model style that already provides the right dimensions for the 3d model to be used to represent the point features in the scene (in your case a tweaked wind turbine style). Besides that you can do the following for tweaking the scaling of the point features themselves (in your case the city furniture using the wind turbine style): 1. Change the height of a single point feature using the blue height gizmo 2. Look at the property inspector for that feature how the height change translated to a change for the for Scale X/Y/Z properties (should all have the same value as an uniform scaling should have taken place) 3. Apply these scaling values to all other features using the same 3d model style => copy the Scale X value from the scaled feature => select all point features using the same 3d model style (if they were imported from polylines of SDF/SHP or other FDO sources, select a single point feature and then reselect the same feature again for selecting additionally all other feature of the same group/polyline) => paste the copied Scale X to the Scale X/Y/Z properties of the multi-selection => click "Update" in the property inspector to commit the changes and trigger a regeneration of the affected features
Message 9 of 11
neilyj666

The Style method looks good and I'll use that in the future...:)

I can't seem to select more than one turbine - I select one by clicking it and it highlights and all the gizmos appear but clicking again just zooms in to it. Is there a technique for selecting more than one? I can CTRL+Pick each one but that's a bit tedious.....

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
jutters

Group selection of point features only works if the features originate from a polyline or polygon (either drawn or imported) - single click selects the a single feature from the group and another single click on the selected feature (not on any edit gizmo) selects the whole group. If the point features are only implicitly defined (e.g. using a 3d model style for a barrier feature), they can't be single selected and single click onto one of them always selects the group.
Message 11 of 11
neilyj666

OK thanks - I tried the editing existing style method and that works very well

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report