Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MULTIPLE SURFACES IN INFRAWORKS

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
jsbillingsley
3363 Views, 5 Replies

MULTIPLE SURFACES IN INFRAWORKS

Hello all, thanks in advance for any responses.....I have an issue on a project I'm currently working on. I just recently discovered this fantastic software (Infraworks) and would like to know if it's possible to "layer" multiple surfaces. I'm designing multiple phasing plans for a landfill using C3D and have an existing topo (which I have already brought into IW) and I will have multiple 'phases' or fill sequences. I just finished the first phase and am having trouble figuring out how to (or if it's even possible) to layer my design over the existing topo and ortho. Infraworks is such a powerful visualization tool, that I would be heart broken to find this isn't possible. I've tried everything I know and everything I can google and/or forum search. The only other thing I can think to do, that I'm sure will work, is to combine the existing and phase designs in civil, export to IMX, import into IW, drape the ortho and use a generia land covering over the design area to block out the ortho imagary, but in my mind this seems time consuming and I am working against a tight deadline.....any thoughts? THANKS!

S.B.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
BrianHailey
in reply to: jsbillingsley

Hi S.B.

Doing a little bit of testing, it looks like Civil 3D will export all surfaces as one surface in the .imx file. Doesn't make sense to me that it would do that but it does. So, here's what I did. I saved my drawing as PHASE1.dwg, deleted all the surfaces but phase 1, and exported that. I did an undo to get the surfaces back, saved as PHASE2.dwg, deleted all the surfaces but phase 2, and exported the .imx file again. Repeat for each surface you need.

Back in InfraWorks, you can select all the .imx files at once when you import and this will create seperate surfaces. You can then control the display order of the surfaces by going into the Surface Layers tool.

If you have any imagery in the file, the display order can be displayed in the exact same dialog (I just don't have any images in this model).

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 3 of 6
DMFACER

Civil 3D does export all surfaces into one IMX file, but when you import and configure the IMX in the Data Panel in InfraWorks, you can choose which surfaces to import.  What we've done to import Civil 3D surfaces is to import the IMX file multiple times, only choosing certain surfaces for each import (for example, one import for existing surface, one import for proposed surface).  Then you can use the Surface Layers tool to control order and visibility of each imported surface.

With that said, you mentioned you were trying to create different phases for your project.  InfraWorks gives you the ability to create multiple Proposals in one model, allowing you to show multiple design options, or phasing of one site.  Look for the pull down at the top of the screen that most likely says "master".  This pull-down will let you create a new Proposal for each phase of your project.  And one tip for using Proposals, when you create a new one, it will make an exact copy of your current Proposal, so you could create an "existing" Proposal, then create a Phase 1 Proposal, and when that's completed (and active), create a new Phase 2 Proposal to copy everything from Phase 1 as a base for Phase 2. 

Hope this helps.

"The most dangerous phrase in the language is 'We've always done it this way.'" - Rear Admiral Grace Hopper
Message 4 of 6
neilyj666

I also extract the surface boundaries for the various scenarios from civil and mapexport as sdf. These can be brought in as coverages and styles applied to show the proposal.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 6

Thank you all for your input, it was a combined effort from all of your input, hence the correct answer for your replies. I ended up importing a combined existing_phase surface for each phase. Used MAPEXPORT to write out .shp files for areas I wanted to show grass, soil and proposed road. It turned out great, should be presenting to the client soon....attached is a gif of the results. Cheers!

Message 6 of 6
jspeed

I like this but I am running into the issue that my shp file doesn't show the elevated contours from Civil3d..i get the coverage area but no elevations.....it is just draped on the existing ground...any ideas?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report