Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linework from DWG

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
ToddRogers-WPM
2525 Views, 25 Replies

Linework from DWG

Anyone know of a way to bring linework in from a DWG?  The IMX option states "there are no valid data sources".

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26

REALLY??? Not even a "no, you can't do that?"!!

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 3 of 26

For basic 2D DWG, you can use the the import functionality. Data Source Widget, select AutoCAD DWG.

If you use Civil you can export your DWG as IMX and bring that in. You will have more options doing that.

Heiko Meyerdirks
Senior Manager, Engineering
AEC Design-BID-Infrastructure
Message 4 of 26

I have tried both of those options. As I stated above, the IMX option says "there are no valid data sources". The AutoCAD DWG option will only let you specify certain entities (coverage area, buildings, etc.), this doesn't help. I nees the linework to trace over in AIM. If i don't have tje linework from the survey, then I am not going to have it drawn in the correct place.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 5 of 26
wdbar
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

I ran into the same issue and ended up creating a shape file from my linework.  It's a horrible work around but for some reason the DWG connection is counter-intuitive.

Message 6 of 26

I plot the linework to pdf, then convert that to jpg.

Then line up in acad and make world file.

Then pull that image into AIM.

It sounds junky, but the cool thing is you can pull in just the area needed by limiting the area you plot.

Not a good answer though I know.

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Message 7 of 26
kbarnettza
in reply to: JamesMaeding

Strange how users around the World end up trying the same processes at more-or-less the same time. This week is quiet for me so I left C3D for a while and focused on AIM (for the second time, first time was May last year). 

I have hit this same problem. I was expecting AIM to simply read 2D polylines from a DWG and use as Coverage draped on the Terrain. For now I opted for Barrier, not pretty. I think I will need to export to SHP then use that in AIM.

Message 8 of 26
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: kbarnettza

I needed the linework from a DWG to layout out where the actual parking lot is going to be.  Here is what I did to get a desired result...

BTW Autodesk, you need to put curbs and linework in AIM!!!

I exported my lines out to a .shp file. I attached the shapefile in AIM as pipes.  I set the pipes at a 0 elevation.  This gave the "illusion" that they were curbs.  Actually worked out pretty good.  Below is a screen shot of the result...

snapshot.jpg

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 9 of 26
scottkent

Hi folks,

Dwg import is a little finicky.  You must remember that you are limited to 2d linework, with no text, hatching, dimensions, etc.  That stuff will confuse the import.  For spatial entities like boundaries, lot lines, parking lots, building outlines, water outlines, it works just fine.  Here are some tips to remember:

• When possible, convert lines to polylines (this is not required, but is a bit ‘cleaner’)
  • Verify that polylines that appear closed are actually closed (check props)
  • Avoid duplicate linework on top of each other
  • 2d only
  • When configuring in AIM, in the ‘Source’ tab, set ‘Draping Options’ to ‘Drape’, and check ON the ‘Convert closed polylines to polygons’
  • To be sure you get what you want WHERE you want it, be sure your coordinate systems are correct, or place interactively in the ‘Geo Location’ tab

Scott Kent P.E.

Senior QA Analyst II

Infrastructure Collaboration Products       

Autodesk, Inc.

100 Commercial Street

Manchester, NH  03101

Scott Kent P.E.
Senior QA Analyst II

Autodesk, Inc.
100 Commercial Street
Manchester, NH 03101
Message 10 of 26
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: scottkent

Scott, I don't think you are understanding what is happening here.  If you "attach" an AutoCAD DWG from the Data Sources dialog, you still have to configure it.  When you are in the Configure dialog box, the program MAKES you choose a type...

4-4-2012 8-46-10 AM.png

There is not an option for just linework.  My DWG is nothing but polylines.  The program MAKES you specify a type.  If you don't, the Close and Refresh button will stay grayed out.  That's why my solution to bring in pipes was the only option for actually "seeing" the linework that I need for laying out the parking lot.  Otherwise I would not be able to draw a coverage area where the parking lot islands are to be placed.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 11 of 26
scottkent

To help me understand what is happening, are you trying to import linework that defines the outline of a parking lot?

Scott Kent P.E.
Senior QA Analyst II

Autodesk, Inc.
100 Commercial Street
Manchester, NH 03101
Message 12 of 26
ToddRogers-WPM

Yessir, that is correct.  I have tried the IMX, AutoCAD DWG and the SHP option.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 13 of 26
scottkent

The reason you are forced to specify what type of entity to configure the dwg as is because it needs to know what kind of style to apply.  To get a parking lot, just import the outlne as a dwg, config as a coverage area and apply some asphalt like style.  Without looking at your specific data, I cannot say why it isn't working for you.  I have done this hundreds of times and have no problem getting it to work, using the guidelines I mentioned earlier.  IMX is not meant to work for this scenario - it will only transfer surface, alignment/road, and pipe data.

Scott Kent P.E.
Senior QA Analyst II

Autodesk, Inc.
100 Commercial Street
Manchester, NH 03101
Message 14 of 26
ToddRogers-WPM

That is what I did for the parking lot, but I have the islands as you can see in the picture I attached in a previous reply.  Anyway, if you look at the picture you will see that I used the Pipes type and it actually looks kind of like a curb.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 15 of 26
JH-81

This may seem trivial but I was having the same error message ("no valid data source") when trying to import dwg files into my model until I closed the file I was trying to import.

Further to this though, I want to show pure linework on the surface (draped) to show property boundaries without converting it to a road or a pipe etc, can this be done?

Regarding the autosave function can you turn this off and enable manual save?

I have previously imported large amount of satelite data into my model which corrupted the entire model and due to autosave the model was then unusable so I basically have to start from scratch!! Please give the user the option of autosave if they want and let the user save as they see fit.

Overall, Infraworks and Infrastructure modeller are very glitchy and unstable. I find it hilarious that even the Autodesk video presentations and webinars have problems and glitches within the very small and simple files they are demonstrating with. How are we supposed to use this stuff for real world projects if Autodesk cant even get a simple model working in the classroom...?

Disappointing.

Message 16 of 26
tcorey
in reply to: JH-81

While I am having some issues with stability, I think this "work-in-progress" software definitely has promise. Whether it is ready for primetime? I will withhold judgement for now. I need more hours with it.

Todd, for making your curbs, could you have imported the polylines (through SHP, I guess) as roads and then have applied a road style that models a curb? Wouldn't that let you model the curbs to exact designs instead of using look-alikes?

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 17 of 26
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: tcorey

I never thought about that Tim.  Thanks.  What I did this morning to play around with this, is, I copied a style and deleted all the entities on it except for the curb.  I'm going to test it to see if it works for me.  I'll keep you posted.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 18 of 26

I'd rather make curbs part of the surface, or 3d model them in acad using 3d pline for top of curb, and a curb section for sweep command.

Note that 2014 fixed the issue where 3d solids in an fbx do not come in at right spot. Now you can simply 3d model in acad, export to fbx, and pull into aim using "local origin" like we have always wanted.

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

Message 19 of 26
k.lew
in reply to: JH-81

I struggled with importing DWGs as well.  Shocked (and pleased) that closing the dwg in AutoCAD first was the solution!!

Thanks!

@JH-81 wrote:

This may seem trivial but I was having the same error message ("no valid data source") when trying to import dwg files into my model until I closed the file I was trying to import.

Further to this though, I want to show pure linework on the surface (draped) to show property boundaries without converting it to a road or a pipe etc, can this be done?

Regarding the autosave function can you turn this off and enable manual save?

I have previously imported large amount of satelite data into my model which corrupted the entire model and due to autosave the model was then unusable so I basically have to start from scratch!! Please give the user the option of autosave if they want and let the user save as they see fit.

Overall, Infraworks and Infrastructure modeller are very glitchy and unstable. I find it hilarious that even the Autodesk video presentations and webinars have problems and glitches within the very small and simple files they are demonstrating with. How are we supposed to use this stuff for real world projects if Autodesk cant even get a simple model working in the classroom...?

Disappointing.

Message 20 of 26
drazen-ars
in reply to: k.lew

I would like to import roads designed with the other roadway design package to Infraworks. Tried several importing options and at the end I found the way which satisfies me. So, I manage SDF export (MapExport function - typed from the command line). I isolated only axis (alignments) which are 3D polylines, and export them to SDF (feature type I defined as linework only). When I imported that SDF file to Infraworks, they are correctly positioned in 3D view. In the configuration of Infraworks import defined as roads.

After that I can apply any of offered road styles to all of them or alignment by aligment individually. Satisfied my expectations and I can play around in Infraworks (edit, change style, ...).

Any other option (AutoCAD 3D elements, LandXML, ...) did not make something useful or expectable.

Don't know if it is solution for the specific problem.

Drazen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report