Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Land's End Blog does not allow comments....

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
JamesMaeding
793 Views, 4 Replies

Land's End Blog does not allow comments....

I see a button in the 2013 ribbon ( I still would prefer toolbars and dropdowns) pointing to the Land's End Blog.

I go there, and all comments are closed for all items, with last post being April 23, 2012.

How bad is Autodesk struggling if its one sponsored AIM blog has not posted in 3 months???

Also, I think Autodesk needs to send out an internal memo that 3d modeling/viewing does not make something BIM.

BIM is intelligent object based design, and the objects must be based on what industry really does, not a "box" objects that happens to look like a table. Things like Pipe (pressure or not) networks in C3D can be made to look like pipelines, but do not follow basics of real pipeline design. Are they based on alignments and profiles - if no, you don't have a real BIM objects, you have tinker toys that edit completely differently than alignments/profiles do.

Anyway, I have many questions for the Land's end crew that would self advertise the program, but cannot even supplement their posts...

internal protected virtual unsafe Human() : mostlyHarmless
I'm just here for the Shelties

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
lokitzj
in reply to: JamesMaeding

Hi,

Thank you for the comment.  Due to travel and some team changes the At Land's End blog has not received the attention it deserves over the last couple of months.  That said we do plan to keep it current and will have a schedule by which we post something at least every couple of weeks.  In fact, we just posted something new today.

Regarding your BIM comment, we agree.  In fact, BIM to Autodesk is an intelligent model-based process that provides insight for creating and managing building and infrastructure projects faster, more economically, and with less environmental impact.  We see it going way beyond design to encapsulate the entire lifecycle of an asset etc. 

Anyway, feel free to shoot me an email any time at justin dot lokitz at autodesk dot com.  Happy to discuss further.

Thanks,

Justin

Message 3 of 5
JamesMaeding
in reply to: lokitzj

Cool, AIM is a great product with so much potential. I was making surfaces in C3D from DEM's, then pulling into AIM via imx, then realized if I brought in the dem's directly, it was way faster.

I kept pulling in 10meter dem's and the prog kept taking them no problem.

I added 12 or so, and the prog still orbited fast, simply amazing.

It is interesting to me that there is navisworks and AIM, as they are essentially the same thing to me - a gaming environment for 3d stuff. If navisworks supported image draping like ESRI ArcScene (transparency and mutiple image merge), that would be incredible.

For the BIM subject, Autodesk is caught in its own trap.  Its revit software and some other architectural ones are true BIM, and are the only reason the term came to be popular. There is no confusion on the architecture side what a BIM prog is, its objects that are sharable and encapsulate the item  definitions..

Mechanicals have had BIM for a long time too.

So Autodesk can try to call anything that "helps" as BIM, but all it is doing is stretching a term it should be reserving for when it makes real BIM tools for civils. You cannot call triangulated blobs (surfaces) a bim object, neither are corridors which cannot be shared or labeled. C3D was never meant to be BIM level, you find this out quickly because it bogs with any level of heavy data. Its an improvement over the past, but civil is really hard to encapsulate in objects, it takes time.

Message 4 of 5
lokitzj

I don't disagree regarding your BIM comments.  That said, there's MUCH (x10) more to come around BIM for Infrastructure.  But, you've (we've) got to start somewhere.  Stay tuned.  It's going to get exciting.

-Justin

Message 5 of 5
JamesMaeding

totally, its the best time to be in Civil ever!

check out youtube under jmaeding for some vids of projects we modeled.

I'd be surprised if anyone has done a hillside subdivision with more detail.

We wrote custom tools that hook to alignments to do the utils and appurtenances.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report