Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infraworks shoreline?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
cguryan
534 Views, 5 Replies

Infraworks shoreline?

I have a set of elevation data (DEM, TIF, etc.) that includes a shoreline. How do I get Infraworks to recognize a given elevation, say, as being water? I could trace out a water coverage area, but that would be inaccurate. I would think there's a way to indicate that any point with an elevation < 0 is underwater, but I haven't found it yet.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Karsten.Saenger
in reply to: cguryan

Hi Chris,

what is the desired outcome of this? Is it for visualization only or do you want to extract water aera data?
How about creating a Terrain Theme under Analize your data panel? You could add one theme with certain elevation level and colorize it as desired.

You can smoothe the shoreline by selecting a smaller tile size for the terrain in the data configuration.

Best Regards,
Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 3 of 6
cguryan
in reply to: Karsten.Saenger

Thanks for your response. I need area data for my use; I actually export Infraworks geometry to DAE and import into a modeling and simulation tool. Creating a terrain theme seems to identify the shoreline with sufficient accuracy, but is there any way to get this data out of Infraworks as a set of DAE shapes?

Message 4 of 6
Karsten.Saenger

Hi Chris,

to my knowledge it is not possible to export analysis datasets to vector data (coverages) in the current release of InfraWorks.

I can file a product enhancement wish for you or you file one yourself on the following page:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Regards,
Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 5 of 6
cguryan
in reply to: Karsten.Saenger

I've found a way around the problem: I used the flood analysis tool in Global Mapper, exported that to shapefile, and imported the shapefile into Infraworks as a water area. Global Mapper is much slower than the Infraworks analysis, but it works. It would be handy to do it all within Infraworks, though.

Thanks.

Message 6 of 6
Karsten.Saenger

Hi Chris,

excellent workaround!

Regards,
Karsten.

Karsten Saenger

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report