Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

InfraWorks is unable to render

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
k.lew
1196 Views, 8 Replies

InfraWorks is unable to render

I'm having trouble with a particular Sketchup model.  No matter what I do, after import, Infraworks gets this error"

"InfraWorks is unable to render your model.

This can happen while rendering models with high display detail and quality. Try reducing display settings in Application Options."

and crashes.  Even after reducing display options to the lowest possible, Infraworks crashes immediately when opening this project.

The 3D model I'm importing is very basic and smaller than other models I've imported.  It's got a texture but that's small too.

Anybody know what could be causing this??

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Karsten.Saenger
in reply to: k.lew

Hi Kelsey,

without looking at the sketchup file it is difficult to say what's happening and why.
If it is possible to share the model I could check on my system and try to find an explanation.

Regards,
Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 3 of 9
k.lew
in reply to: Karsten.Saenger

Karsten, 

I'm attaching the skp model as well as the dae and texture I export from skp to import to Infraworks. 

The 3D model isn't really model.  It's my current workaround for bringing a drawing of an existing park into our model.   I haven't been able to figure out how to apply an image (of a strange shape) to a coverage area, so this works as long as my terrain is flat. 

I've done this multiple times before with no problem.  However, this time is causes the rendering problem within Infrworks and crashes. 

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks so much for the help!

Message 4 of 9
Karsten.Saenger
in reply to: k.lew

Hi Kelsey,

thanks for the files and yes, I can confirm a program shutdown when trying to preview the 3D model in the data configuration.
Usually, what do you set as 3D Model Type for these files?

I will try to find out why the program crashes with this file.

Regards,
Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 5 of 9

Hi Kelsey,

thanks to the quick response of our development team I have a technical explanation for this error message:

The problem is the size of the texture. The allowed texture size is limited to 256MB.

InfraWorks misinterprets this as out-of-memory situation and stops working. Unfortunately, during shutdown IW crashes.

The solution for you in this case is to make sure to use smaller texture size, for example simply resize the texture to half its size. Or better yet, if you have the chance to edit the model, you should remove all the blank areas from the texture and realign it to the model.

Our development team will consider introducing an automatic resize process for textures larger than 256MB in order to prevent InfraWorks from shutting down.

Hope this helps,
Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 6 of 9

Hello, 

I am having the same problem!!!

But this error appears for me when my drawing has lots of 3d elements like: trees, houses and roads as well.

I already tried to reduce the configuration of my quality on 3d view but still happens this error.

How can I resize in this example?

Yes, I have some texture in my drawing, but no so much as there are 3d elements.

If it is still the texture size issue, How can I resize it, one by one manually?

Please, help me to work it out a solution.

Regards,

Alexandra Ignacio.

Message 7 of 9

Hi @allexandra.ignacio,

I would suggest you to remove trees, they are the heaviest in everything. You can place them again in Infraworks.

This way the model will be a lot lighter.

Another suggestion can be to separate the models into: one for roads, one for houses, one for trees if you are importing them.

Which version do you have? Which machine do you have?

Best

Was this answer helpful? If so, please click the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or the KUDO button

Nicola Ianeselli
BIM Manager

Twitter | LinkedIn

Infraworks Ambassador

Want to present in Infraworks? Vote this up!

Message 8 of 9

Thanks for your suggestions!

My machine has this configuration:

Intel Core i7-3770 CPU 3.40GHz, 12,0GB (RAM)

64 Bits, Windows 7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 640

Version: Infraworks 360 2017.

Related about my machine, I already compared with the Infraworks  system minimum requirements and It seems ok.

I am suspicious that Infraworks needs to use more over the minimum requirements to work better with large projects.

The size of my projects is around 1,5GB...

Regards.

Message 9 of 9

I was able to bring in your DAE files to Infraworks 2018 (18.0.45.0) and in to the "test" version of Infraworks successfully.  Also, I was able to create my own DAE file from the SketchUP provided and use this exported DAE file created successfully in both Infraworks versions. I was not able to use the SketchUP file as a data source in either version.

Geographic Information Systems
Fanshawe College

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report