Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infraworks for Traffic Control Plans?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Chris_Baze
1379 Views, 5 Replies

Infraworks for Traffic Control Plans?

My comapny is currently looking into using RapidPlan by Invarion to produce traffic control plans. Has anyone used Infraworks for this purpose, or have some insight on what RapidPlan can do that Infraworks can't?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
tcorey
in reply to: Chris_Baze

InfraWorks has no tools specific to traffic plans, so RapidPlan is going to be more, er, rapid.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 6

Hi Chris,

Autodesk has a tool available called Vehicle Tracking, maybe this is what you are searching for. Vehicle tracking is currently available for AutoCAD based products, but it is planned to integrate it into InfraWOrks, too. The integration is in a beta phase (Project Commuter) and you can participate from this site:
https://beta.autodesk.com/callout/?callid=D23E3D96B32A41EAA1AE9E8F1E319977

Regards,
Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 4 of 6

There's nothing available yet but, if you want traffic analysis within Civil 3D, check out Project Commuter at Autodesk Labs. It currently doesn't have a working version that ties into InfraWorks but, that is what is being considered. Go there and give them your feedback. If no one asks for it, they won't do it.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 6
LeafRiders
in reply to: BrianHailey

The "Project Commuter" project through Autodesk Labs is exactly what Infraworks needs to improve the video component of large 3D modelling. Having the ability to add vehicles, cyclists, and peds, will open the door for Autodesk to sell this to planning groups. Lets face it if it's in "Labs" it may not be implemented, and it's difficult for the daily Infraworks users to implement this kind of thing as it could be gone before you know it. I have used Autodesk Vehicle Tracking and it's a little clunky in some areas, but has a decent parking layout tools, and also has the ability to prepare videos that highlight turning movements and vertical clearances. As far as using Infraworks for Traffic Control plans, if you had all the 3D Models and Signage you needed done up in-house to extend your library this would be super cool. I find these things get customized so much and need to be done quickly that I'm not sure Infraworks would give you that full library you're likely looking for.
Message 6 of 6
gordon.duncan
in reply to: LeafRiders

Traffic simulation modelling tools like Commuter are intended primarily for the analysis of traffic movement. In the context of traffic control plans (a.k.a. traffic management plans) simulation modelling can be used to analyse the effect of a proposed plan - how is the performance of my road network going to be affected by this plan? Animated visualisation is one type of output, especially useful for communication to stakeholders; other outputs include Excel tables containing forecasts of delay, travel times, queue lengths, level of service, etc. The tables quantify the effect over the course of the days or weeks of the proposed construction or road works, perhaps through multiple stages of work. For smaller simpler work sites, simulation modelling may not be necessary, and even for larger, more complex sites, an experienced practitioner may have a pretty good idea what the effects will be. However, a simulation tool can provide a more tangible realisation of the consequences of the work through numeric data, and animation if required, both for stakeholder communication and as a decision aid in choosing between multiple alternative proposals.

Gordon Duncan
Software Architect
IPG-ICP
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report