Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing trees from point shape file

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
CartoConsult
1533 Views, 12 Replies

Importing trees from point shape file

Hi,

I have a point shape file that represents the location of trees, with height and canopy spread. Does anyone know how best to import these?

Thank you in advance!
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Hi Tim,

do I understand you correctly - the point shape file represents x,y locations for each tree? Or is it a polygon shape file defining a tree-area?

Regards,
Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 3 of 13

The point is the x,y and also z and also has canopy extent...

Tim Hughes
CartoConsult
email: tim.hughes@cartoconsult.co.uk
twitter: @CartoConsult
tel: 07764 759064
cartoconsult.co.uk
Message 4 of 13

Hi Tim,

to place the trees on the points simply add the shape file as data source and select "Trees" as data type.
Do not forget to select a style. It should be possible to set different styles based on attributes.
In the data source table for the shape file you can select an attribute (or create an expression) to scale the trees so that they have different heights.

Hope this helps,
karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 5 of 13

Hi Karsten,

Thank you for your proposed solution, I will check this out as soon as I get a few spare minutes!

Cheers

Tim

Message 6 of 13
daniel.bruce
in reply to: CartoConsult

National Tree Map Data

Hi Tim,

The above image is a screenshot of trees added from a point Shape File, this is the same way as suggested above by Karsten.Saenger.

Dan

Message 7 of 13
CartoConsult
in reply to: daniel.bruce

Hi Daniel,

Thank yo uvery much for confirming that this works. Have you tried the height and dimensions attributes?
Message 8 of 13
daniel.bruce

Yes, the trees in the image are the correct height. If you are using national tree map there is an attribute labled as 'max' for the tree height. If your tree model is 1m high just scale it by 'MAX'.

Let me know if you want me to explain further!

Message 9 of 13
CartoConsult

Perfect. Yes I am planning to use NTM where I can.

Thanks again!

Tim
CartoConsult
Message 10 of 13
CartoConsult

Hi Daniel,

This is a blast from the past. When I attribute the tree on the MAX field using Scale Z, the trees go mega tall!

What am I doing wrong here?

Cheers in advance!
Message 11 of 13

Hi Tim,

do the units match - feet vs. meter?

Regards,
Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 12 of 13
daniel.bruce

I am guessing the tree model you are using is about 7.4m tall, so if you scale this by the 'MAX' attribute in your shapefile (which could be for example 20m) then the tree will be 7.4x20=148m!

If this is the problem then you need to either use a tree model that is 1m tall, or scale the tree model you have down to 1m then scale it back up with 'MAX'.

have I totally lost you yet?!  well the next bit might be a bit harder to follow!

If you know the height of the tree model you can use an expression in the scale box which uses the inverse of the tree height (inverse is simply 1/7.4=0.135) then multiply this by 'MAX'.

The tree model T35-V01 Orange-Green is approx 7.4m tall therefore the equation you need is 

0.135*MAX

I have included a screenshot to help explain, but any questions just give me a shout!

Dan

Message 13 of 13
CartoConsult

Hi Dan!

Thank you!

I will try this now and report back, it makes sense to me, I didn't even
think of the existing height as I assumed that Infraworks would extrude the
trees by the 'MAX' height from the terrain. How wrong was I!

You might hear from me again when I can't get the expression working!

Thanks again

Tim

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report