Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Sketchup models into InfraWorks

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
JohnDutz
5735 Views, 10 Replies

Importing Sketchup models into InfraWorks

We are working on modeling a large project in InfraWorks 360, and are having problems importing textured models from Sketchup 2013 Pro.  Although the 3D model imports, the textures will not.

We can get the textures into AutoCAD using the SKP import add-in for 2014, but the textures are gone when we import into InfraWorks.  We've tried round-tripping the model through NavisWorks, 3DS Max, and Revit as well.  None of these other programs import the textures, either.  I suspect there is a step that we're missing in the process, like copying texture files to a support directory, but I can't seem to figure it out.

Does anyone have some ideas?

Thanks.

Tags (2)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: JohnDutz

You must cut and paste the model file into the folder with the materials.  For example if you are using collada (.dae) files, you would cut the model.dae file and paste it in the images folder.

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 11
JohnDutz
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

I marked this as a solution, since it works, but there is a bit more to the problem.  When exporting the models from Sketchup, certain textures are not copied to the output folder.  Any ideas why, or where I can go to find the originals?  Are the stock materials copyrighted, or can not be exported for another reason?

I searched the Sketchup install directory for the JPG files that were used in the model, and couldn't find them.  I also searched My Documents, since that's where texture images are kept, according to the File Locations tab in the System Preferences dialog in Sketchup.

Message 4 of 11
ToddRogers-WPM

Was this a model downloaded from 3D Warehouse?

Todd Rogers
Message 5 of 11
JohnDutz
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

No it wasn't.  It was one that we made.

Message 6 of 11
ToddRogers-WPM

Ahhh.  I see.  I don't have much experience with Sketchup.  The only thing I use it for is to export out .skp files to .dae files.  However, I do make sure that I have everything "ungrouped" or "exploded" before I export it out of Sketchup.  When the Sketchup objects are "grouped" it tends to not work very well.

Todd Rogers
Message 7 of 11
JohnDutz

In Sketchup, materials are stored in .SKM file, which is just a renamed .ZIP file.  I had to copy the .SKM files, rename them to .ZIP, unzip them, then copy the texture file to the model output folder and rename the texture file.  The texture files from Sketchup end with an _1, but the materials applied when exporting the model do not.  Once I copied all of the texture files into the output folder, the model can be imported into InfraWorks with the textures.

Message 8 of 11

We've been exporting the SketchUp files out as a 3ds file. It exports with all the textures (separately but in the same directory) and comes in just fine into InfraWorks.  [Once it's inside Infraworks you can ditch the 3ds file and the textures.]

This has been the easiest method for us so we don't lengthen our workflow any longer than it needs to be! 

Message 9 of 11

Wow... I tested exporting the SketchUp file to a DAE file.

It works seamlessly!  This is easier than 3ds (due to a scale issue we were having).

Thank you so much for your suggestion.

Message 10 of 11
sean.rrcc

If anyone else is looking for another option, one would be to export as a .kmz file from Sketchup. Unzip the .kmz file (I use 7-Zip) to the local project folder. Then, in Infraworks create a catalog (folder) under 3D Models/Buildings/'New Catalog' in your Style Palette and create a new building style using the .dae file that is extracted from the .kmz file in that folder. This way if you need to use that building style multiple times it is available for repeated use and for any other project that you may need it for. More importantly, I have found that this method places materials on the buildings all the time without fail, yet.

Message 11 of 11
manopadsk
in reply to: sean.rrcc

Thank you sean.rrcc. It works for me. Exporting to KMZ and then unzip.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report