Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing raster data

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
900 Views, 5 Replies

Importing raster data

I have downloaded some elevation and imagery data from National Map Viewer for the Pittsburgh area.  When I trr to import into Infraworks, the data seems to fall somwhere in Canada.  When I view the KMZ file on Google Earth it is the correct location.  Any ideas why this importing incorrectly?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Karsten.Saenger
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Jeffery,

this issue could be due to a wrong coordinate system setting, a feet-meter issue or the switch of X and Y. Can you send some sample data?

Regards,
Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Karsten.Saenger

Attached is the zip file of the downloaded data

Message 4 of 6
Karsten.Saenger

Hello Jeffery,

the aerial JPEG data needs to have the world file (.j2w) so that InfraWorks can read it. When loading the data from the National Map Viewer please pay attention to the readme files. For example NED data is provided in NAD83 (LL84) and imagery is in UTM system.
Try the following setting: Your InfraWorks project in "LL84", the NED elevation data in "LL84" and the aerial images in "UTM83-17".

2014-08-04_1659.png

Regards,
Karsten

Karsten Saenger
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Karsten.Saenger

Thanks for the information.

An additional question, how does the jw2 file get incorporated into the JPEG data? Doesn't seem this type of file is an acceptable file format in Infraworks.

Jeffrey G. Heinrich, P.E.
HF Lenz Company
1407 Scalp Ave.
Johnstown, PA 15904
Phone: 814-269-9300, ext. 154
Email: jheinrich@hflenz.com
Message 6 of 6
Karsten.Saenger

Hi Jeffery,

the world files of images (i.e. .tfw for TIF, .jgw for JPEG, etc.) cannot be loaded into a program seperately. When you open a georeferenced image the world file (= geolocation) will be read automatically and in the background.
With the ortho image files you have received a text file "OrthoTDDSReadme.txt" which explains the data formats you have received:
   PART 3: CONTENTS OF ZIPFILE
      .jp2      =  JPEG2000 Lossy Compressed (~5:1)
      .j2w    =  JPEG2000 world file
      .jpg    =  Browse image
      .jgw    =  World file for browse image
      .xml    =  FGDC Metadata file
      .htm    =  HTML format FGDC metadata file suitable for reading and printing
      Shapefile
       (.dbf, .prj, .sbn, .sbx, .shp, .shx)
          =  The shapefile (consisting of 6 files) represents the GRID Zone Designation and 100,000 meter square
              identification. Using the example file name above, the shapefile is the 17RMQ square.

OrthoReadme.txt
          =  The readme text file

Regards,
Karsten

Karsten Saenger

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report