Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import 3D model with material

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
mshoffman
2349 Views, 12 Replies

Import 3D model with material

Is it possible to import the materials with a 3D model?  I have downloaded a model form the sketchup google warehouse as a dae and an skp.  It looks great in 3Ds max because the material shows up, then when i bring it into AIM it looks like blocks because there is no material.  The person who created the model used materials on faces rather than surfaces. 

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: mshoffman

The materials should come with it.  I get the same results sometimes.  Restarting AIM usually fixes it.  Are you connecting as a 3D Model or are you creating it in the Style Palette?

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 13
mshoffman

Im importing it as a 3D model.  I havent been able to use anythign with the 3D bridge model and the style palette.  This is the model I am using http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=851f8aceffa0a1f08e506821bf7d2e2e&prevstart=0. Restarting AIM doesnt seem to help.  It could be just the way this model is built?

Message 4 of 13
ToddRogers-WPM

It is the model.  The best way to check these models is to click the 3D View button in Trimble 3D Warehouse.  That will be the actual model that you are downloading.  If you look at this bridge in the 3D View, it’s pretty crappy.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 5 of 13
mshoffman
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

It looks great in 3Ds Max 🙂 lol its just made by a bunch of materials except for the columns.  I can live with the block look.  Thanks for the replies.  I have been having a love hate relationship with AIM the last few days, just when I think things are looking good, it seems to crash, then corrupt the file and I have to start over.  The file sizes are so big and with no real back up until you publish its tough.  Still have a lot to learn. 

Message 6 of 13
ToddRogers-WPM

If it looks good in Max, then follow this link for instructions on how to get it out of Max with the materials...

http://atlandsend.typepad.com/at-lands-end/2012/04/how-to-export-from-google-warehouse-to-aim.html

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 7 of 13
mshoffman
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Thank you so much! I will be bookmarking or printing that article.  It worked great.  There are some weird video things but the whole thing is there in AIM.  It just depends on how close or far you are and which angle on how you see the material. 

Message 8 of 13
mshoffman

Ok, Embedded the media and it comes it....see attached jpgs.  Before i actually place it interactively it looks pefect.  Once i place it something it happening with the model.  I tried as a Building (the image you see called after) and I tried it as a Road, however as a road it comes in a lot worse.  Any thoughts?

Message 9 of 13
BrianHailey

Try turning on "Show Backfaces". HERE

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 10 of 13
mshoffman
in reply to: BrianHailey

Perfect! Thanks!

Message 11 of 13
BrianHailey

Backfaces Off

Backfaces On

Nothing like a giant bridge going through the city of Casper, Wyoming. 🙂

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 12 of 13
kclark138
in reply to: BrianHailey

Where is backfaces in infraworks?

Message 13 of 13
mshoffman
in reply to: kclark138

Go to the infraworks button >Options>3D Grapics and check or uncheck the box.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report