Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add images to building facade

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
frosty1_4me
2880 Views, 8 Replies

How to add images to building facade

Hi,

I'm attempting at creating a new AIW's proposal area with buildings that have a realistic look other than the extruded blocks.  How does one going about adding jpg images of the actual buildings to the facade of the 3d extruded buildings in AIWs?

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Hi Kent,

• Create a new style in the style editor for your facade image. For example go to Materials/Colors - copy an existing color and edit the copy to use your image.

Please let me know if this does not work.

Regards,
Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for the reply.  Creating a duplicate style and adding a style to the building is pretty straight forward.  I just don't get how to edit the duplicat style to add an image to one side of the building for that facade.  Or, better yet, to be able to just add an image to one side of a building facade with a image of that building frontage.

Message 4 of 9

Hello Kent,

I have recorded the process in this screencast - assuming your building facade should be painted with Mickey Mouse:

https://screencast.autodesk.com/main/details/5d5a16b5-d9e2-49a2-bbef-f9727dfdd84c

Best Regards,
Karsten

Karsten Saenger
Message 5 of 9

Great screen cost.  That is much simpler than I realized.

A few things I noticed, I'm attempting to add the facade to an existing building model (producted from an sdf) and when I add the surface material as shown in your screencast my facade is added to all sides of the building even though I only dropped in on one side like yourself.

Is there also any way to reposition the material image on the building once its place or do you have to make it the same size as the object it's being place on to avoid the repeated image appearing?

I also noticed that the color scheme that is randomly added to all the buildings in the model affects the color of the material that is added to the buildings.  How can I get the true material applied to be building without that randomly applied color scheme impacting the appearance of the applied image?

Thanks for the help.

Message 6 of 9

Hi Kent,

please first apply any facade style to your SDF building. This should add the possibility to edit one side of the building only.
For more information please see the knowledge article: How to apply a color to a face/facade of an InfraWorks building

You have basic repositioning possibilities in the texture style settings available by re-defining the anchor point:

reposition_texture.png

Other than that there are currently no ways to move the texture on the facade.

Regarding the color scheme affecting the added material I do not fully understand what you mean.
If a material has a (semi-) transparent property the texture might be transparent as well - mixing up with the base color applied.

Regards,
Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 7 of 9

Hi,

In reference to the color scheme issue you will see by my attached image the color of the surrounding buildings is generated by just using the default randomfacade color for that data source.

When I apply a building style to a building, instead of that building being the color of the facade in the style palette it appears to take on the color of the randomfacade.  I have tried to remove the default color that is applied to the building and then add the facade with no luck.

I've attached an image file displaying the color tone i'm refering to.  It's quite noticable since.

I've also followed the instructions on the link you provided and those don't work.  If I apply a style to one facade of the building it is applied to the entire building.  (I did set the rendering to medium)  The only facade that I can apply a single material to is the roof.  If I drag and drop a material on the roof, only the roof is affected, but as for the walls of the building when I drag and drop a material to one face of the building it's applied to the entire building.

I found this autodesk training video Here and follow along.  But in my model dropping a material on the roof only applies it to the roof.  It acts almost like it thinks the roof of all my buildings are actually the side of the building.

Message 8 of 9
frosty1_4me
in reply to: frosty1_4me

Is this a huge bug?  Seems others are struggling with the same issue.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/infraworks-general-discussion/putting-material-on-single-building-face...

Message 9 of 9
frosty1_4me
in reply to: frosty1_4me

I now have it working.  I missed a very important step in that process.  You first MUST apply a style to the sides of the building which will apply it to all sides of the building.  Once you do that, then you can select only one side of the building and change it to whatever you want.

That is where the confusion comes in and it's a reduntand process IMO.  Why should a user be forced to apply the style twice to the same object in order to apply the style they ultimately want to see on different sides of a building? 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report