Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Google Earth Image

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
jefferyheinrich3734
2294 Views, 6 Replies

Google Earth Image

I will apologize ahead of time if this has already been discussed or is something simple that I am missing, but I have saved a google earth image as a jpeg and am trying to import into Infraworks. When I try to import the image I get "There is no valid data source to import".  I got the image from regular google earth not pro.  Also I used google earth because I need an image to show what the site was like before the project was started.  I am assuming that I need to georeference the image but I am not sure how to do that and I dont have access to any GIS software.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

First order of business: ensure you are in compliance with Google Earth terms of service. The Pro version permits you to use the imagery in ways the basic version doesn't.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 7

You can bring an image into AutoCAD Civil 3D with AutoCAD Raster Design, move, scale, rotate into geographic location and then export with a world file. InfraWorks will read that image and world file to place the image where you want it.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 7
Zahi77
in reply to: tcorey

Hi tcorey

Would you please explain more about importing world file to infraworks ?i.e how to create and how to import .

kind regards

Message 5 of 7
tcorey
in reply to: Zahi77

Insert the image into AutoCAD/AutoCAD Civil 3D using Raster Design (a standalone extra purchase or part of any AutoCAD Design Suite such as Infrastructure Design Suite Premium).

Georeference the image using iMatch command or manually using Move, Rotate and Scale commands.

Use iSaveAs command to save the image georeferenced. Use iWorld command to write a world file so that other programs (InfraWorks) can georeference the image.

Attach the image as a raster file in InfraWorks.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 6 of 7
Zahi77
in reply to: tcorey

Thank you very much Tcorey

Message 7 of 7
savon
in reply to: Zahi77

As an alternative to google earth you might want to check out the national map viewer (Assuming your in the States) here http://nationalmap.gov/viewer.html.  They do have some high resolution ortho imagery for populated areas and NAIP imagery for all of the US but I personally try to avoid NAIP for small scale projects as the resolution is too low for anything under 1:500 scale.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Ā 

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Ā