Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting GPS Augumented Reaility to work in IW for iPad

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Debrisflow
875 Views, 4 Replies

Getting GPS Augumented Reaility to work in IW for iPad

Hello,

I have an iPad 3 (retina display with the larger non-lightening connector, not a new iPad air) that is wifi only, i.e. doesn't have a cell connection and therefore a GPS built-in.  I am wondering if it is possible to connect up an external apple-approved GPS, like the Bad-Elf pro, and get the GPS function of the Augmented reality to work?  Currently, even with the Bad-Elf connected, under the Augmented Reality part of the settings menu, the "Position and Orientation" is greyed out and not enableable.  So is there a way to make that enableable? I have a colleague that tells me that at least with a wifi-only iPad air he was able to use the Bad-elf external GPS and get things to work.  If I was looking at a model that was in the vicinity of the iPad, outside where I am currently sitting, would that work? 

I am running the most current version of IW on my iPad and my iOS is the most current release 7.0.4

Thanks in advance for your responses. 

SteveDB

p.s. when is the Andriod version of IW coming out?! 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Debrisflow
in reply to: Debrisflow

Well as a bit of an update.  I made a rough model of my location and then connected up the GPS, and after that, the "Position and Orientation" was indeed available.  If it wasn't pounding down snow here in D.C. I'd go outside to check things out.  

If anyone has any other insights or suggestions, I am certainly open to hear them, but I think I answered my own question. 

Message 3 of 5
john.de.leeuw

Anyone know of connecting Leica GPS (or any other accurate GPS) to an iPad (via Bluetooth) in order to make the GPS of the iPad usable for serious AR work?

Regards,

John

Message 4 of 5
Debrisflow
in reply to: john.de.leeuw

Not sure if this would work; I don't have one, or ever tried it.  But it it might be an option to get your survey grade system streaming out a NMEA string from the collector via a serial cable in the appropriate format, and then plugging that into your iPad:

http://amanenterprises.com/gpscable/

Just would have to figure out what NMEA message(s) the iPad needs to work. 

But even if you are locating the iPad at a survey grade accuracy, there still is the basic question of when looking at an augmented reality display on the screen, how do you translate that into a survey grade coordinate on the ground? 

Message 5 of 5
neycalderon

This means that any iPad without GPS capabilities or assisted GPS (GSM Cellular Mode) cannot use or take advantage of the augmented reality features of InfraWorks 360?

I dont want to invest nor purchase an external GPS and link it up to my iPad. For that Ia rather buy a Cellular/wireless new iPad!

Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report