Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Storage Workflow

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
KPerison
751 Views, 1 Reply

File Storage Workflow

I am about to begin my 1st real project with InfraWorks.  I have a couple questions regarding the proper file storage workflow.  We currently have the 2015 version include with the suites. I dont think we will be moving to the token based 360 cloud model very soon.

1. We use Projectwise for file management with Autocad and Civil3D.  Can IW be integrated with Projectwise as well or even Vault?  
  2. Or is the only option for file storage/management to have the IW project housed on a local server? 
  3. Once data is imported into the IW project is it inserted to the project or is it “linked” from its original storage location, similar to Xrefs? If the data is moved ids the link then broken?

Thx.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Karsten.Saenger
in reply to: KPerison

Hello Kelly,

• We use Projectwise for file management with Autocad and Civil3D.  Can IW be integrated with Projectwise as well or even Vault?

- I know too little about Projectwise and how it works with files and folders. To stay on the safe side I would say it is not possible to use InfraWorks models with Projectwise. The same with Vault - InfraWorks is not designed to be integrated with Vault.

• Or is the only option for file storage/management to have the IW project housed on a local server? 

- InfraWorks projects can only be located on local storage if you work with a release 2015.2 and earlier. With version 2015.3 a file open check has been introduced so that a model can only be opened once at a time. This means the models can also be created on a network drive.

• Once data is imported into the IW project is it inserted to the project or is it “linked” from its original storage location, similar to Xrefs? If the data is moved ids the link then broken?

- When you add data to an InfraWorks model the current state of the source data is moved to the model folders. You can remove the source data from a drive and the InfraWorks model will still work. However if you want to reconnect ar refresh imported data with the corresponding source data you will have to have it available.

Best Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report