Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fbx textures look odd

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Ville_Nykanen
606 Views, 10 Replies

Fbx textures look odd

Hello I ran in to a problem with textures of .fbx model not showing properly. Model is from 3ds max exported as fbx with embed media. The weirdest thing is the model looks perfectly fine in "3d model preview". Anyone familiar with this problem? Here is picture of comparison: http://imgur.com/WQMCnT3 (ps. couldnt get this file attachment to work somehow.)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Here are instructions on how to do this the right way...

http://atlandsend.typepad.com/at-lands-end/2012/04/how-to-export-from-google-warehouse-to-aim.html

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 11

Thanks, Those are the settings I use to export the model from 3ds max. Just to be sure I tried again with settings in the link and I have same odd looking textures once again. 😞
Message 4 of 11
BrianHailey
in reply to: Ville_Nykanen

Download Sketchup, open the file, export to collada, import into InfraWorks.

Easy as that.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 11
Ville_Nykanen
in reply to: BrianHailey

Looks like sketchup doesn't support .fbx natively (unauthorized to buy simlab addon). And what comes to other formats that I tried import to sketchup materials nor model doesn't appear correctly. I think there is something odd in infraworks. Haven't tried newest (2015) version of it yet. Hmm, Interesting! when im placing the model into the terrain via interactive placing model looks perfect until I double click to anchor it and then textures look awfull... so defitnely a infraworks problem in my opinion.
Message 6 of 11
BrianHailey

Can you share the Sketchup file? If you don't want to share it publicly, I have a gmail account - c3dplus.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 7 of 11

Hi again

Got new pictures for you. Firefox couldn't add pictures to this forum etc.

So when model is imported everything looks fine until I anchor it to place. (see pictures)

Message 8 of 11
BrianHailey

I was having similar trouble. Changing the type to City Furniture (even though I was importing a building) seemed to do the trick.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 9 of 11
Ville_Nykanen

Thanks!

But no luck.

Any idea if this would be fixed in 2015 version? Our license manager is on vacation and im unable to test. 🙂

Message 10 of 11
BrianHailey

Ummm, disregard my Sketchup video, I misread and thought you were bringing in a .skp file. 

Sorry.

As for testing the file in 2015, if you can provide the file, I can try it out here. If you would rather not have the file be public, I have a gmail account called c3dplus.

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 11 of 11
Ville_Nykanen

Hey again!

I don't bother uploading the file anywhere right now.

I will test it with 2015 version when our lisence manager gets back from vacation in about two weeks.

I've read that 2015 has fixed similarish problems involving .fbx.

Wish me luck 🙂

Thanks everyone for support and tips

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report