Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FBX import into infraworks from 3dsMax

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
c4az57b
950 Views, 4 Replies

FBX import into infraworks from 3dsMax

I'm not an export in 3dsmax but I belive I have exported out of 3dsmax all of the basic buildings (single story homes, with occasional factories ) that make-up our project area, it's a large area. Probably 3km x 1km, file size is about 80meg.
Upon importing into infraworks every thing goes fine, but eventually it falls over with a error and shuts down software, the same thing happens with importing into civil3d fatal error from memory..

Is this file too large?
Should I get service packs installed?
How do I export segments of the buildings from 3dsmax?
Will buildings drop into infrawork in correct spatial location.
What other software will read an fbx file?

Using infrastructure design suite premium 2014

Thanks
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Karsten.Saenger
in reply to: c4az57b

Hello Martin,

I can't give you an solution without looking at the FBX file you are having problems with, but I can give you some suggestions and thoughts.

Is this file too large?
If the FBX file doesn't open in 3ds Max due to a memory error it seems indeed due to be too large, although I haven't heard of any file size restricions for a FBX file.

Should I get service packs installed?
It is always good to install all available and most up to date Service Packs for the products you use.
Check the Autodesk Knowledge Base for availbale updates regularly: knowledge.autodesk.com

How do I export segments of the buildings from 3dsmax?

I understand that you are wondering how to export only parts of a builing from 3ds Max, correct?

Will buildings drop into infrawork in correct spatial location?

The FBX file does not support geographic coordinate systems or georeferencing in any kind. Therefore the FBX file will be imported to InfraWorks as 3D Model and placed in the model interactively.

What other software will read an fbx file?
You can try you file in FBX Review (free): http://www.autodesk.com/products/fbx/fbx-review

You can also load and install trial versions of Navisworks Manage and the actual InfraWorks 2015:

http://www.autodesk.com/products/navisworks/overview

http://www.autodesk.com/products/infraworks-family/overview

Regards,
Karsten.

Karsten Saenger
Message 3 of 5
c4az57b
in reply to: Karsten.Saenger

Thanks Karsten

The FBX reader worked well, the original 80meg file must have had errors in it as it wouldn't open

Managed to select the buildings, and import into infraworks. Only issue was not knowing how to keep buildings in correct orientation and scaling to meters as everything was in millimetres and data was rotated on its side. Easy fix in cad but would like to have know about solution upon export from 3dsmax.

Thanks
Message 4 of 5
Karsten.Saenger
in reply to: c4az57b

Hi Martin,

good to hear that it worked finally.
In 3ds Max you should be able to set the units for the FBX file in the export dialog:

FBX_export_options.jpg

Depending on the settings made during the export of a FBX file the 3D model might need to be adjusted in InfraWorks.
In the file configuration on the 3D Model tab you have the option to invert orientation/transparency/up axis and flip Y and Z.
You can also scale/rotate and shift the model with numeric input on the Geolocation tab.

2014-09-29_1055.png

Regards,
Karsten

Karsten Saenger
Message 5 of 5
c4az57b
in reply to: Karsten.Saenger

Thanks agaian Karsten

I will give it a go with some basic data next time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report