Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra properties in FBX export

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
ruudvandermeer6732
768 Views, 2 Replies

Extra properties in FBX export

Dear All,

After exporting a FBX file out of Infraworks there are almost no properties in it. Ok, a Property Name which is actually an ID but for example no GUID, no length, width, etc........  This can be viewed in Navisworks.

Putting extra information in the property fileds in Infraworks has no result in the export when i open it in Navisworks.

I suppose the information is there in the Infraworks file. Is there a way of getting the info out lets say with the API?

I don't have any clue on this one.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Come on guys.

I think i have to use the SDK?

Is this the trick?

Anyone any experience in this?

Message 3 of 3

This is the trick. It is possible to add your own data in FBX files. In fact, every objects of the FBX SDK can be enriched with new properties. We call them dynamic properties, because they are added at run-time. If you are not afraid to do some C++ programming, this is quite easy to do: simply import the FBX file using the FBX SDK as usual, then find the object you want to add properties to, then you can call AddProperty on it. The FBX SDK supports a wide range of property types. If you want to add a binary block of data to an object you can use the FbxBlob property type. Otherwise I am sure you will find the property types you need (FbxDouble, FbxInt, FbxBool, etc.).

However, there is one limitation to this. If the FBX file you modified is opened by an application that does not read/understand the properties you added and then re-saved, your properties will be disacarded because the application did not know what to do with them and didn’t load them in the first place. Otherwise, if you don’t re-export your file in another app, then you will be just fine to reload it and read your own data.....

But there is no extra property output directly out of Infraworks. So no GUIDS, and no width's, height's etc, etc, etc....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report