Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting Propositions from Infraworks to Civil3D

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
matslunnegren
1550 Views, 5 Replies

Exporting Propositions from Infraworks to Civil3D

We are trying to export our propositions from Infraworks 2014 to Civil 3D 2014 which are included in our Infrastructure Design Suite. The problem we having is that the export doesnt bring the right properties from IW to C3D. When we are using the IMX format for export as suggested in the tutorial it just gives us an broken mesh with no objects or properties whatsoever.

1_Destroyed Mesh.PNG

If we instead are using the IBX format it gives us something that looks like an model but the roads are still a mesh and not an object. Meshmesh.PNG

The baseline/centerline seems to be at a Z=0 and is not connected to the mesh.

Our export settings for IMX

Exportsettings.jpgand fbx

Exportsettings_FBX.jpg

Do anyone got any idea how to solve this?

Our goal is to build a model for 4D implementation. We want to simulate the buildingprocess of the road. Just as we can simulate a construction of a building. IE we want to make a model with distinguishable objects and areas and later sync them in timeliner to a schedule for simulation in Navisworks Manage 2014.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

The purpose of the IMX correlation is to bring the alignment from the proposed street into Civil 3D and build a profile from that in Civil 3D.  The surface that it brings with it is rather useless because it is so jacked up.  

Also, I'm not sure what you are saying when you are stating "propositions".  Do you mean proposal?

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 6
tcorey
in reply to: matslunnegren

If you are trying to make a NavisWorks 4D simulation, you should be planning to use corridor solids (see the Toolbox tab of Toolspace, under Miscellaneous Utilities.

Like Todd said, you should not plan to use the road surfaces created by InfraWorks.

The workflow I use is:

1. Create roadway layout approximation in InfraWorks.

2. Export IMX from InfraWorks to obtain the alignment and profile in Civil 3D. (Todd, do you know if this works in Premium suite?)

3. Design your Assembly

4. Create a corridor

5. Create Corridor Solids.

6. Use NWCOUT to send the solids to NavisWorks.

It is pretty well know that InfraWorks is not quite ready for prime time if used for certain tasks. Autodesk knows it and I am confident they will be making big strides with this sofware. InfraWorks shows so much promise to streamline the civil workflow that I think you'll see significant attention paid by Autodesk to this product.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 6
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: tcorey

Hi,

>> to obtain the alignment and profile in Civil 3D. (Todd, do you know if this works in Premium suite?)

I'm not Todd, but the answer is it can be exported, but it's not an alignment with spirals then, it's like a fine segmented 3d-polyline that can't be used directly as alignment.

In Civil3D you will have to reconstruct it to get correct alignment-spirals and -arcs (and profile too). I see that difference as one of the most important options of the road/street-module for InfraWorks.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 6
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: tcorey

I'm not sure if it does work in the Premium suite.  I think it works in correlation with the Roads and Highways module in the Ultimate suite.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 6 of 6
ouspensky
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

wow!! an export function which exports an alignment that cannot be used and surface that is useless...

sounds like teh wise folks at autoudesk have included a very useful function indeed.  I should base my whole BIM consultancy on this wonderful softwareSmiley Sad I'm sure my clients won't mind the missed deadlines...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report