Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drape or Don't Drape?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jeffmorris
1177 Views, 5 Replies

Drape or Don't Drape?

I am confused by "Drape" and "Don't Drape" options for roads and railways. If I use "Don't Drape", the roads are at correct height but the terrain isn't level with the roads. How can I fix the problem?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Drape: turns 3D geometry into 2D geometry by ignoring the Z-coords; the resulting 2D geometry is then "draped" onto the terrain surface and the vertices are adjusted accordingly to follow the surface.

Don't drape: doesn't change the imported geometry with respect to its dimensionality so it keeps the Z-coords of the input geometry.

What you probably want for your roads is to apply a "bridge" road style to some of roads so they get detached from the terrain surface...

Konstantin.B
Software Architect
Message 3 of 6

Is it possible to select a group of vertex on a road and delete them? Is it possible to move a vertex using the move tool instead of height/elevation tool? I think that "Split Feature" command doesn't work. After adding water to a pond and working on roads for a while, I tried to delete the water but AIM crashes with Autodesk's send/don't send message.

Message 4 of 6

Could you please start a new thread for new unrelated topics...

Answering your questions:

1. select group of vertices for deletion: no
  2. move a vertex: not sure what the question is... the "move" tool is for "moving", either a single vertex of a whole object/feature
  3. split feature: could you elaborate on what is not working? is it crashing? does it have no effect? ...
  4. crash on water deletion: is that reproducible? if so, could you please describe the steps for this?

Konstantin.B
Software Architect
Message 5 of 6

1. I would like "Select a group of vertices" added to next version of AIM.

2. I can move a vertice up or down. I can't move a vertice left, right, backward, or forward.

3. I thought the split feature doesn't work but I found out that if a split a road into three pieces and replace the middle piece with a bridge, the road and bridge surfaces don't end where the road was split. Either road or bridge surface extend beyond the split.

4. I thought that the water object was too low and I tried to move it up a little bit but it didn't work. AIM crashes every time I try to delete the water object.

Message 6 of 6

1. noted... 🙂
  2. you can move the vertex vertically (up & down) with the turquoise arrow; and you should be able to move the vertex horizontally by grabbing the purple box
  3. ok, got it; the style of a road does not exactly end at the feature border but may penetrate (to a certain degree) into the adjacent road segments in order to allow for a smooth transition between different styles; this "penetration" region cannot be defined by the user right now... so the feature splits should be not too close to each other for road segments...
  4. I cannot reproduce the crashes when removing a drawn water surface; could you give a simple step-by-step description or a video showing the steps that lead to the crash?

Konstantin.B
Software Architect

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report