InfraWorks General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
BrianHailey
Message 1 of 4 (659 Views)
Accepted Solution

Displaying Rivers

659 Views, 3 Replies
09-02-2012 12:41 AM

So, if you have a .shp file representing the flowlines of rivers and streams, what's the best way to display that? Water areas don't work, right? They have to have an enclosed area and all I have is the flowline of the streams. Create a road style that looks like a river? Any other ideas?

Brian Hailey
CAD-1.com
My Blog

There is an easier solution to this: when importing the data and after selecting the target type "Water area" there is this field "Buffer width": this can be used to turn the line string/polyline into a polygon. This field can be either mapped from the imported data or set to a constant value. and then you can chose an appropriate water style.

And a remark to the water surface: you can also use the special "water shader material" (dynamically animated and reflective) as material for the different street track materials; there should be no need to import your own water texture.

*Expert Elite*
TRogers
Message 2 of 4 (653 Views)

Re: Displaying Rivers

09-02-2012 07:28 AM in reply to: BrianHailey

You are correct.  You  have to have a closed area for the water style.  And you are also correct in that you could create a road with a "water" surface.  You can grab a picture of water off the internet and assign it as a material.  Should work for you.

If the issue was resolved by this method, please click on "Accept As Solution"
*Civil 3DJ*
Todd Rogers

Visit my blog here.

Employee
konstantin.baumann
Message 3 of 4 (644 Views)

09-03-2012 01:22 AM in reply to: BrianHailey

There is an easier solution to this: when importing the data and after selecting the target type "Water area" there is this field "Buffer width": this can be used to turn the line string/polyline into a polygon. This field can be either mapped from the imported data or set to a constant value. and then you can chose an appropriate water style.

And a remark to the water surface: you can also use the special "water shader material" (dynamically animated and reflective) as material for the different street track materials; there should be no need to import your own water texture.

*Expert Elite*
BrianHailey
Message 4 of 4 (642 Views)

09-03-2012 09:18 AM in reply to: konstantin.baumann

The buffer width works like a charm! Now if only my dataset had the width of the stream in it. 

Brian Hailey
CAD-1.com
My Blog
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.