Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Displaying Rivers

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
BrianHailey
1202 Views, 4 Replies

Displaying Rivers

So, if you have a .shp file representing the flowlines of rivers and streams, what's the best way to display that? Water areas don't work, right? They have to have an enclosed area and all I have is the flowline of the streams. Create a road style that looks like a river? Any other ideas?

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

You are correct.  You  have to have a closed area for the water style.  And you are also correct in that you could create a road with a "water" surface.  You can grab a picture of water off the internet and assign it as a material.  Should work for you.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 5

There is an easier solution to this: when importing the data and after selecting the target type "Water area" there is this field "Buffer width": this can be used to turn the line string/polyline into a polygon. This field can be either mapped from the imported data or set to a constant value. and then you can chose an appropriate water style.

And a remark to the water surface: you can also use the special "water shader material" (dynamically animated and reflective) as material for the different street track materials; there should be no need to import your own water texture.

Konstantin.B
Software Architect
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 5

The buffer width works like a charm! Now if only my dataset had the width of the stream in it. 

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 5
diesantosp
in reply to: BrianHailey

Hi Brian , I just did the suggested method using buffer width. I was wondering if you found a way to update your database with the current river width.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report