Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut and Fill volumes

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Totros
1211 Views, 2 Replies

Cut and Fill volumes

I was wondering whether its possible to calculate the volume of material that will have to be excaveted or filled to reach a particular defined ground surface using the elevations from the lidar.

Thanks a lot

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Willy_Campbell
in reply to: Totros

Hi Tongai,

I need to change my response:

InfraWorks can create Simple Surface volumes. InfraWorks uses an Initial Surface and a Model Surface [for lack of better terms] to generate volumes. Anything imported as a surface in InfraWorks will generate the Initial Surface. Modifications to the terrain from model objects [Coverage Areas, Roads, etc.] affect the Model Surface.

From the InfraWorks (“I”) menu > Analyze your model you can use Terrain Statistics to show simple cut and fill volumes [bound by the red dashed line] – difference between the initial and model surfaces. I added and manipulated 2 Coverage Areas in this example:

volumes2.JPG

Please Note: InfraWorks does not differntiate between Finished or Existing/Original surface design data, even if it is exported as such from Civil 3D, it all comes in as the Initial Surface.

Willy Campbell
Message 3 of 3
neilyj666
in reply to: Willy_Campbell

...and I'd be very wary about using volumes computed in this way for anything other than a coarse overview....Civil 3D every time for detailed volume computations....;)

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report