Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Buildings

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
mongoosest3
809 Views, 5 Replies

Custom Buildings

How does one create existing buildings in IW? I have several buildings in a shopping mall ( currently an industrial area with many buildings) with various pad sites that will have buildings. I want to create in the existing conditions scenario, then I want to create another sceario showing the proposed buildings. How do you make these structures?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Partha.Sarkar
in reply to: mongoosest3

Hi,

Could you check the following link and see if that help ?

http://docs.autodesk.com/ICD/2014/ENU/files/GUID-A847370D-0D7B-46C4-A74F-6EF4584A0328.htm

Thanks,

Partha Sarkar

Partha Sarkar
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 3 of 6
mongoosest3

Yes I am familiar with changing the facades.What I am referring to is making buildings close to what they look like in existing conditions. So for example a gas station with a particular footprint and roof and canopy would be duplicated. Next to that is a restaurant with a unique footprint and facade. There are about 50-60 buildings on site that need to be duplicated. Putting simple boxes will not suffice. I have tried unsucessfully to insert revit models into Infraworks but get error messages. Moreover Infraworks has a limited file import selection that does not include *.rvt files........

Message 4 of 6
Partha.Sarkar

Revit Model import is supported in InfraWorks 2014.

Please check this :

http://docs.autodesk.com/ICD/2014/ENU/files/GUID-47B265F3-267C-453E-A641-CA0A817BF023.htm

'Enhanced Import Support' - > Import Revit models :

Which version / release of InfraWorks are you using ?

Thanks,

Partha

Partha Sarkar
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network

Message 5 of 6
s.rhyne
in reply to: Partha.Sarkar

I recently learned I can pull Google Sketchup models from the Google 3D Warehouse, perform a little cleanup, export to a Collada (.dae) file and import the Collada in IW. Using the Create Building tool I trace the building outline and then drag the newly imported Sketchup model onto the IW building to take its place. The model updates to the Sketchup model and you have control of scale, rotation and placement. It does a surprisingly good job at managing models that have complex shapes and several faces.

Message 6 of 6
drazen-ars
in reply to: s.rhyne

I'm very interested to fully understand your procedure. Just right now I would like to do something similar.

So, if I understood well, you created object inside if IW by using it's tool, and somehow joined model from outside (Sketchup) with your building in IW. Why you did not insert just Sketchup model directly to IW?

What is Collada or dae file? If I remember IW can import directly Sketchup model (not sure).

Can you send some picture.

Regards,

Drazen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report